• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

throttle body cleaning without removing it.2006 z71.

snafup

Hi,
Changed my belts today and took a look at my throttle body while i had the air line off. It was pretty black and crud filled(who knows if the dealer ever looked at it).
I was going to remove it to clean it but i really didn't want to have to remove the coolant lines. I also didn't want to disconnect anything or screw it up by pushing on the flaps.
Luckily i happened to watch a motorweek episode that showed how to get around this.
I cleaned the outside as normal with approved throttle body cleaner.
I then got my wife to sit in the drivers side,turn the key halfway to accessory, and depress the gas pedal.( make sure they realize to keep it depressed and don't turn over the engine)
This moves the flap sideways so you can get to the back without having to push it yourself and you can get a real good clean.
It takes a minute or 2 to clear it out and no extra work involved.
I was a little apprehensive at first to do this but now it will be a part of my regular checkups,it was that easy. (y)

Always use a clean shop towel soaked with the cleaner to scrub in there. I have seen guys use a toothbrush to get in around the rod where the flap is mounted. Clean flap, also. The crud that builds up causes air flow turbulence that can create rough idle and hesitation when accel from stop.

snafup said:
I was going to remove it to clean it but i really didn't want to have to remove the coolant lines. I also didn't want to disconnect anything or screw it up by pushing on the flaps.
Luckily i happened to watch a motorweek episode that showed how to get around this.
I cleaned the outside as normal with approved throttle body cleaner.
I then got my wife to sit in the drivers side,turn the key halfway to accessory, and depress the gas pedal.( make sure they realize to keep it depressed and don't turn over the engine)
This moves the flap sideways so you can get to the back without having to push it yourself and you can get a real good clean.
It takes a minute or 2 to clear it out and no extra work involved.
I was a little apprehensive at first to do this but now it will be a part of my regular checkups,it was that easy. (y)

This is good to know. It?s my understanding that very bad things can happen opening the throttle plate manually.  (y) (y)

Scanning the forums looking for a solution, my 02 z66 hesitates when I accel from a stop, I think I should look into this, thanks for the info, I am going to try to clean mine and see if that is the problem.

Back