• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bumper scratch build for cladded AVYS!

Dakotawilk

Hey everyone I'm in a design class and my senior project I have decided to build a steel bumper for the cladded avy I'm open to all ideas I'll be drawing it up in the next month or so
What a I have planned so far
40" radius led spot bar
2x3 led cubes flood x2 possibly 4 but two for Shure are ambers
12,000 lb bad lands winch
Have a bar that protects grill and head light and I was thinking angling it forward so that if I hit a dear living in the mountains hopefully prevent it from coming over the hood
Also I plan on having a glowing bow tie on there

Something along the lines like this?  I got it off the Suzuki XL7 forum.  I know it doesn't have the spot for the winch but it does angle down.  Just as you mention about deer, the person mentions
The older style bull bars used to have the top edge angled forwards to deflect whatever you hit downwards (see pic below); these days, they're all aerodynamic/ "pedestrian friendly" and angled backwards.
 It seems there are a lot of Aussies driving XL7s and they worry about hitting kangaroos.   :laugh:
$_75.JPG

frito said:
  It seems there are a lot of Aussies driving XL7s and they worry about hitting kangaroos.   :laugh:
$_75.JPG

Kangaroos, livestock, even aborigines, all are hazards in the outback.

When I was there about 5 years ago and told the rental car agent where I was going I was told after reaching a certain point heading into the outback that my rental car insurance was only good during daylight hours.

enoniam said:
Kangaroos, livestock, even aborigines, all are hazards in the outback.

When I was there about 5 years ago and told the rental car agent where I was going I was told after reaching a certain point heading into the outback that my rental car insurance was only good during daylight hours.
Haha that's pretty funny but I have seen those led bars that flip down now and I have a radius one on order so that won't wok as well but Maby I get a 12" to flip down from the push bar

I really like some of the bumpers on this thread especially the gray one that Hightower posted on page one and the one on Canadiansuper's avy
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=117376.new;topicseen#new
Sorry having trouble posting pics on my iPad but any other ideas you guys think should be on there?

frito said:
Something along the lines like this?  I got it off the Suzuki XL7 forum.  I know it doesn't have the spot for the winch but it does angle down.  Just as you mention about deer, the person mentions   It seems there are a lot of Aussies driving XL7s and they worry about hitting kangaroos.   :laugh:
$_75.JPG
I just saw that there was a picture there that looks pretty sweet I don't know if I want Togo that extensive haha one like the pic I posted is what I got in mind

Alaska_AV. said:
I'd fail you if you put pipe in front of your lights like that. regardless the other lights.... ;]
haha good point didn't notice that part  :E: well I won't do that I will either go up and around or close in the middle then a bar on the outside and that's probably what I will do also going to get my 12,000lb winch today for it

Alaska_AV. said:
Don't get to tight around the winch. Changing out the winch or fixing a wad of cable needs room.
I will I think I'm gona set it down below the radiator so my bumper doesn't stick out I front for the truck a foot and a half

I'm interested in what design you come up with. I personally want to design a replacement bumper that will double as a deer/elk slayer. I want to keep most of the original shape as I can and have full front end protection.

c_b_mazur said:
I'm interested in what design you come up with. I personally want to design a replacement bumper that will double as a deer/elk slayer. I want to keep most of the original shape as I can and have full front end protection.
That grey bumper I want to move that big toub in so that it clears the head lights and run another toub the size over the headlights along with a wore like that on the top it's just original and the one between the headlights I want to stick out and angled down like a stinger and it can be that too

I'm partial to this one, but without the winch mount. They have a new option where they put additional cooling slots in place of the winch opening.

Attachments

• Iron Cross bumper.jpg
    Iron Cross bumper.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 392
frito said:
Here's one for you. 
950-1-2002-avalanche-chevrolet-suspension-lift-6-ballistic-jester-black-gunmetal-aggressive-1-outside-fender.jpg
That one is sweeti agree I would rather the bumper protected all the headlights
MyBigToy said:
I'm partial to this one, but without the winch mount. They have a new option where they put additional cooling slots in place of the winch opening.
I wheel with this guy he has the same winch I do and has it in there now I don't think that one is too bad I like it I want a little bigger bar and the angle on the front I don't know if imli,e I will have todo a sketch to show you guys what I'm thinking

there an AVY on Maui for sale with the road armour bumper

Attachments

• 00G0G_aYDyYqlglfU_600x450.jpg
    00G0G_aYDyYqlglfU_600x450.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 389
frito said:
Here's one for you. 
950-1-2002-avalanche-chevrolet-suspension-lift-6-ballistic-jester-black-gunmetal-aggressive-1-outside-fender.jpg
That would be a Stealth Off-road (now Monster Bumpers) bumper built for the cladded AVs. Still my favorite looking bumper.

First on this site. Second is the one i plan to oreder here soon from reunel bumpers. Also google image search avalanche stealth bumbers

Back