• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Stability system kicked on ... on dry flat concrete!

JrBean

Hi!  I have searched the boards but not found my exact problem...

2006 avalanche, has 20" rims, I've owned for about 1200 miles.  Today, I was leaving my subdivision, going about 15 miles per hour on dry, flat concrete, and the traction control system kicked in, making all sorts of noise in the process.  Glad I wasn't going down the interstate at 70 mph.  Anyhow, I turned the tcs off, and noticed the "service stability system" light.  Got to work.  Turned the truck off.  Started it again and went back behind the building to some loose gravel.  The warning message is gone, and all is fine for the moment. 

Any ideas what could cause this?

JrBean

It could be a bad sensor anywhere in the system (ABS, steering wheel, accelerometer) or a loose wire. Take it to the dealer, they will have to pull the codes to troubleshoot.

JrBean said:
Hi!  I have searched the boards but not found my exact problem...

2006 avalanche, has 20" rims, I've owned for about 1200 miles.  Today, I was leaving my subdivision, going about 15 miles per hour on dry, flat concrete, and the traction control system kicked in, making all sorts of noise in the process.  Glad I wasn't going down the interstate at 70 mph.  Anyhow, I turned the tcs off, and noticed the "service stability system" light.  Got to work.  Turned the truck off.  Started it again and went back behind the building to some loose gravel.  The warning message is gone, and all is fine for the moment. 

Any ideas what could cause this?

JrBean

I had exactly the same thing just happen to mine. Did you manage to find out what was wrong?

Mine hasn't left  any codes so I'm not sure what the error is. I was goingt o take it to the dealer, but want to have an idea what it is before I do.
TIA

jstain said:
I had exactly the same thing just happen to mine. Did you manage to find out what was wrong?

Mine hasn't left  any codes so I'm not sure what the error is. I was goingt o take it to the dealer, but want to have an idea what it is before I do.
TIA

I never did.  It has probably happened 10-20 times since I've owned it.  It's always disconcerting when it happens. 

Oddly enough, about half of those times have happened #1 after my truck has been sitting for a few days, and #2 at about the same spot in the subdivision after leaving my house.  The only other clue I have to offer is that I don't have stock wheels on my truck.  I have aftermarket 20" rims with no tire pressure monitoring sensors.  Please let us know what, if anything, you discover!

jstain said:
"..no tire pressure monitoring sensors..." mine doesn't either. Have you had yours tested?

Mine has never been tested, but the stock tpms were in the original rims.  Supposedly, I could have tpms added back to the truck, but the dealership wanted a large sum of money to make that happen.  For now, the biggest annoyance is that there is a warning on the status screen every time I start up the truck, saying to check the tire pressure sensors or something like that.  :/

i hear ya. $65 each. I'll get them added soon. Disciunt tire said $50 each. I don't think they have anything to do with TCS though.

This is a common problem on GM vehicles. I don't know if GMT800/GMT900 are setup as others but it woiuld seem logical that they would. There is a wiring harness that goes from the hub for the speed sensor to send signal on the state of the wheel. Voltage is reported back, negative or positive, based on speed. If the voltage is detected to be too low or too fast, the vehicle may engage traction control, Stabilitrak, ABS or a combination, depending on how your vehicle is equipped and what the computers detect.

If the voltage changes due to a short circuit or failing connection, you move out of normal voltage, either dropping or spiking. This sudden drop or spike is "translated" by the computer as a sudden application of a singular brake resulting in what it thinks is a lock up, or sudden wheel spin that indicates loss of traction, which is translated as a skid.

In reality only the voltage change, you're just driving down the road. So for no reason at all what you experience is the ABS engaging on a gentle braking for no reason, or the traction control or Stabilitrak engaging while you're just driving down the road. Most commonly happens when you're starting off.

The fix is pretty simple - but again - I've only dealt with this on non-GMT800/GMT900 vehicles, but the symptom you describe is identical. You need to see if the harness is plugged in. It can be as simple as finding its location, unclipping, cleaning, and reinstall. If the wires are corroded or bad, then the harness needs to be replaced. on W-Body and U-Body vehicles they are cheap - about $25 a corner and if you are even remotely handy with solder, shrink tube, sealing, you can do it yourself. Much easier on an Avalanche as you can wiggle under the truck without a lift.

What I don't know is if those sensor wires are as exposed on GMT800/GMT900 as they are on other GM vehicles (W-Body, Theta, U-Body, Epsilon I).

The problem is you may very well have a code that says your right front wheel speed sensor is failed. They replace the hub, which is a lot more than a $25 wire with a plug on it, and you still have the problem. Then they see your left front is bad. You replace that, and still have the problem. The hubs etc. likely aren't bad - the problem is the wires running from them have gone bad.

Good luck - and I'm hoping someone will jump in and either go, "yup, some GM vehicles have this problem but the GMT800/GMT900 vehicles got different treatment," or, "here is a schematic to show what Chief is talking about. Start here."

Thansk Chief. I agree with what your saying. this is occurring at highway speeds on dry pavement. I do have a bad wheel bearing hub, and I am having that fixed. The cable is a part of the assembly so one down...

Back