• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

License plate relocation on bull bar

Dluvr22

PM 2014
PM 2013
So I finally got my vanity plates in the mail and decided I want to put them on.
Now comes the problem. With the bull bar up front and the 24" LED light bar running across the length of the middle tube there is no way I can use Westin's License plate relocator bracket to mount my front plate. Yes MN requires 2 plates and I've been content driving around with only one however getting a Vanity plate and not showing it off sucks. My web search did not produce any concrete results.
I did see some images with the plate mounted below the middle tube but cant find anyone selling a bracket for that.

Just use self tapping screws. Drill small pilot hole first to keep the screw from walking out.

Great Idea. However I'm trying to avoid putting holes in my bull bar in the event I don't like the final product or decide to take the plates back off. I'd also like to avoid rust which would definately be an issue in Minnesota's winter.
I was hoping I could find an option that would make use of the existing holes the skid plate mounts to mount in front and lower.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
I'll consider it if I have no other options.

wyotonka said:
Im not positive but from what I have seen you might be able to put the westin relocator on upside down

Yeah I've been trying to wrap my head around that as well. The problem is with the skid plate in place that will not work
I could remove the light bar, drill a hole on top and them put relocator upside down but it will be in front of the bull bad and not look right.

Ideally I would like to have a bracket that wedges between the top of the skid plate and the middle tube and and lock in place when the skid plate is screwed in.

Keep the ideas coming folks.
All of it helps

Dluvr22 said:
Yeah I've been trying to wrap my head around that as well. The problem is with the skid plate in place that will not work
I could remove the light bar, drill a hole on top and them put relocator upside down but it will be in front of the bull bad and not look right.

Ideally I would like to have a bracket that wedges between the top of the skid plate and the middle tube and and lock in place when the skid plate is screwed in.

Keep the ideas coming folks.
All of it helps
hey just to see if you like it before drilling holes maby just two black zip ties around the bar to see looks and how well it would work?

Got the Westin relocator bracket and it didn't work.
I'm going to go with Warner's solution and use self tapping screws.
I'm hoping to get a lot of years out of the bull bar still.
If rust becomes an issue down the line (I hope it does not), I'll have to convince myself that I got my money's worth out of the bull bar and buy another.

2 things. Can't you treat the drilled holes with something to avoid the rust? Also, in the state of MN is there a height spec as to where the plate has to be?

raiderron said:
2 things. Can't you treat the drilled holes with something to avoid the rust? Also, in the state of MN is there a height spec as to where the plate has to be?
Not sure about height limitations on front license plates in MN but it would be no higher then the factory location while still not as low as the ones on cars.

MEDICO said:
Is it a stainless bull bar... Use stainless screws...keep a good coat of wax on it... Stainless will rust...

Black e-coat on the bull bar not that it matters where the hole is.
Anyway, I've used nylon license plate screws on all my vehicles as rusted license plate bolts are very common here.
I'm thinking I can put a glob of silicone on the nylon bolt and screw the bracket in place this way I can hopefully avoid the rust.

Back