• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Any Maine Members

MS03 2500

PM 2017
PM 2015
SM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
I'm planning a trip up there, anyone familiar with Maine

Just the Lobsters.. Mmm, tasty...

Randy said:
Just the Lobsters.. Mmm, tasty...

Hell to the yes. I missed the fall colors

Just looking for a B&B near the coast near Portland

When are u going?  I stayed at a great B and B in Camden, ME - beautiful town.  But as season gets later (colder and leaves will be past).  I will recommend another area if not there in next few weeks.

Must visit restaurants in Portland:

Fore St

Street and Co

Go to LL Bean in Freeport.

SpottyJ said:
When are u going?   I stayed at a great B and B in Camden, ME - beautiful town.  But as season gets later (colder and leaves will be past).  I will recommend another area if not there in next few weeks.

Must visit restaurants in Portland:

Fore St

Street and Co

Man it's been a long time since I was up there, I remember going there when I was 12, one of my brothers was going to college nearby. That was one cool store (y)

Thanks for the info SpottyJ, I don't mind the cold just don't want to see 6 inches of snow yet.

Right now my timing is around Mid November, am I pushing my luck ?

SpottyJ said:

james21 said:
Man it's been a long time since I was up there, I remember going there when I was 12, one of my brothers was going to college nearby. That was one cool store (y)
We stopped there in June on our way to Acadia.  It's not just one store anymore.  There's like 3 - 5 stores now encompassing a few blocks.  Very cool place.  Unfortunately, we didn't have time to go through all of them.

Gotta get your picture in front of the Bean Boot.
IMG_20140623_163919925.jpg

IMG_20140623_163834421.jpg

Usually there is no major snow on the coast before mid December, but there is a small chance for snow anytime between now and then.

It's the off-season now so many places have closed up for the winter.

L.L.Bean is a place you can spend many hours in, and the main store is open 24 hours so it's actually pretty fun to go at 2 am, you won't be the only one there but it won't be crowded.

My cousin used to be a server at Fore Street Restaurant, it is one of the best in town if you want to treat yourself to a nice meal. Probably best to call ahead it is a popular place.

If you like a little outdoors check out Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park near Freeport. They usually have short guided nature walks on weekends during the off-season and the park staff are really great to talk to. Good year-round park to visit.

If the weather's not too cold I recommend taking the Casco Bay Lines ferry mailboat run. http://www.cascobaylines.com/maine-boat-tours/scenic-harbor-cruises/mailboat/

Thanks for the suggestion folks and Duneit I'll probably be on a Sea food diet. BTW what is wrong with Moose meat.

The moose population has been infested with ticks lately and a lot got the mange. I have a few friends that live "up" there (Fort Kent).
I hear that the ticks look like grapes on some.

Dave

Thanks for the recommendation looks like a nice place.

Well needless to say I didn't go. I would have been trying to get back to Michigan right now.

But if anyone wants to post a GTG in Maine I would be happy to come early spring next year.

I don't recall any GTG's in Maine in my time here. That might be a first.
Should "bump" this just before spring. I would go.

Dave

While at a GTG in New Hampshire, I drove to Maine just so I could say I had been there.  :)

The closest I have gotten was Cambridge, when I went for a class for a couple of weeks

What's going on guys. Greetings from Maine. I'm in Aroostook County (way up) but have lived all over the state for the most of my life. There's lots of great, fun stuff to do up here if anybody is looking for a reason to come. I'm a whitewater rafting guide with an outfitter up here and we start running the Kennebec, Dead, and Penobscot rivers next month and run through September into early October. It's a wild ride! Lots of fun places to take your Avalanche to!

If anybody is every up and would like to go rafting, check out www.northeroutdoors.com that's the outfitter I guide for as well as the first rafting outfitter up here with the nicest lodge and choice of accommodations as well. (There's also a microbrewery on site, the main reason I've never left.) Feel free to ask for Mark if you book, it'd be nice to chat about the most versatile truck ever in the calm sections of the river or back at the lodge!

I'll continue patiently waiting for spring here. Shout if you're in town!

Hummm  I may have to reschedule the trip again, this time a bit earlier in the year.

Back