• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bed cover

blazzinbird

I bought my 04 used with no bed cover.
How many of you don't use your covers? I've considered buying a vinal bed cover.

My question, looking how these trucks are shaped, does the truck benefit for a bed cover to reduce drag?

There was a soft cover version of the AV in the first generation AVs. Some liked it and others replaced it with the more prevalent hard covers. You may be able to find a Chevy soft cover for sale used.
I prefer the hard covers myself since it helps secure a load especially with a locked tailgate, and is less susceptible to rot or vandalism.
I doubt if a bed cover of any type will have an effect on drag/gas mileage. The show "Mythbusters" years ago tested mpg on a pickup with the tailgate down and with it up and they discovered with the tailgate up it created an air pocket in the bed and the air would flow right over the bed and tailgate area so there was no extra drag created by having the tailgate up. Thereby they concluded no need to drive with tailgate down or removed in an attempt to improve gas mileage. I imagine bed covers or lack thereof to have a similar result.

One of the appeals of the Avy to me is the hard bed covers.  Like Vaeagleav mentions, they offer security for items in the bed when the tailgate is locked.  They also provide dry storage for your stuff.  It depends what you plan to do with your truck but I prefer my bed panels.

Must have the bed panels on an Avalanche..

Also if you do not have them on most of the time and get leaves and/or other debris in the back the drains will plug up and if it rains you may get water in the cab over the midgate seal. It is water resistant but not water proof so make sure you keep the drains clear if you don't get panels. I had a friend that allways left his covers off and that's what happen to him, he was parked facing down hill with the bed full of leaves and water got into the cab, allot of water.. Wasn't pretty...

Vinyl can be cut easily so don't leave anything you want in the bed.

MS03 2500 said:
Vinyl can be cut easily so don't leave anything you want in the bed.

I've had all kinds of Truxedo's, Agricover's, etc...never had an issue, and no, I generally don't keep anything in the bed.

If I were missing my hard covers I would be looking at BakFlip.....

http://www.truckchamp.com/pages/bak-call-price?gclid=CNvoyZPHwsECFbFDMgod0hcA-Q

Z66 BUTCH said:
If I were missing my hard covers I would be looking at BakFlip.....

http://www.truckchamp.com/pages/bak-call-price?gclid=CNvoyZPHwsECFbFDMgod0hcA-Q

Thought about them...but...too clunky to undo when I'm camping with the Avy Tent...need something that comes completely out without tools...so maybe the bed panels are the only solution.  I've only ever seen 1 soft cover and never paid much attention to how it seals to the midgate.

Before you buy covers make sure that you have the tracks and drain system in place.

cbvet58 said:
I have a cover from my 02, I would sell for $200.00
Do you have everything needed to install it in a Avalanche that did not come with the soft cover stock? It is a differant setup that those that came with hard covers.....

Z66 BUTCH said:
Do you have everything needed to install it in a Avalanche that did not come with the soft cover stock? It is a differant setup that those that came with hard covers.....
Yes, I have the left and right rails, front and rear rails, bows, and storage bags. I got a Bakflip hard cover because I sometimes carry items I need to lockup. All the soft cover hardware had to be removed to install the Bakflip. I don't know how the frame work goes back in but it can't be too difficult, I had the install done where I got the Bakflip hard cover. I would take some pictures if that would help you.

I would never replace my hard covers with a soft tonneau. They are the most versatile, and for the most part secure and keep the bed pretty dry. I often pop just the back panel out and stick something tall in the bed. They are awesome!

GT_80 said:
I would never replace my hard covers with a soft tonneau. They are the most versatile, and for the most part secure and keep the bed pretty dry. I often pop just the back panel out and stick something tall in the bed. They are awesome!

What he said..  (y)

Keep your tailgait locked I had someone park down the street and walk straight to my truck to take the covers. New they are $1000 each. So you know where the $500 set came from? Lol

If u got the time and now how do like i did...pull em off and runnbsilicone between all seals the silicone betweenbthe conection seals. Lightlybpress them togethor and bolt angle irionbon the side and center underneath..
Mounth gas strutsbon bothbside to the the bed and to the covor. Glue luan to the top one full sheet. Let it overhang bout an inch on all sides and add a weather strip. The glass the top with several layers. Sand sand and sand agai until spoot then paint. Look professional and will raise in one piece....ive gotten more complimets on that than anythignbelse. I jsut pulled it to redo though ..im adding a built in solor panel in plexglass thay will keep my battery banks charged. As well as vents to bring in air to cool my amps in summer...thats a bit tricky, got rout then in a way that water escapes before air reaches the end....not to hard to figure out with a little conmon sense.

plexlove said:
If u got the time and now how do like i did...pull em off and runnbsilicone between all seals the silicone betweenbthe conection seals. Lightlybpress them togethor and bolt angle irionbon the side and center underneath..
Mounth gas strutsbon bothbside to the the bed and to the covor. Glue luan to the top one full sheet. Let it overhang bout an inch on all sides and add a weather strip. The glass the top with several layers. Sand sand and sand agai until spoot then paint. Look professional and will raise in one piece....ive gotten more complimets on that than anythignbelse.
:nopics:
:nopics:

Back