• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bilstein 33-174525 steering shock Help?

dwswanger

PM 2015
PM 2014
:help:  Ok I need help with installing this steering shock Bilstein 33-174525.  I have a 2006/ 2500 without a steering shock!  I see where the one end goes on the tie rod, but how do you hock up the other side?? Donald

There is a bracket on the frame crossmember, it's near the steering box.

See link below

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,60067.0.html

RanchoSteeringStabilizer001.jpg

Absolutely I just put my new bilstein on yesterday the rancho was DOA

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,60067.0.html

raiderron said:
Well, can you feel the difference?  ???
:B:today    I took care of it and installed a Bilstein 33-174525 steering shock my 4 wheel drive did not have one on it! It helps with the tracking on the road, you can your hand off the steering wheel and if the road is not rough it will track straight!  ( your front end must be in alignment and tow - in)

Try this find a place where there is not a lot of traffic, make a turn and take you hand off the steering wheel it will also pull it back and center it.  I live in the snow area it reminds me to don't oversteer it

I'm looking to also do this with the same shock .does it effect the turning radius and would it help with towing.i have a 2006 2500 any and truck wanders all when going straight.

Yes it will help with wander and no change to the turning radius.

If you have a lot of wander get a steering stabilizer kit.

The one in the topic is for a 2500, I'm pretty sure bilstein makes one for the 08 1500.

Well maybe not after I looked on the Bilstein site.

I picked the bilstein and it came in but i only got mounting bolts for end link and nothing for bracket

Putting my bilstein on now and just wanting to make sure the end with the nut/bolt goes in the hole that is stting there empty right now? I don't try to replace the other? When i compress to put the nut/bolt end in the empty hole it binds of the boot pretty bad so just wanted to make sure i was putting in the right spot. The pics above are great and if im seeing it right then my question may be answered    >:D
THe Bilstein doesn't come with a bolt for the bracket end but i had a grade 5 laying around that was just the right fit    :D

Correct the shock does not come with a bolt and nut for the bracket, add a lock washer and some loctite to it. The bolt that comes with the shock is tapered so make sure you are putting it in the right way

:B:  Jabrd you will be able to tell a difference With it!! I hate to think how many 2500 do not have one. MS03 helped me as well, I could not see one or where they went tell he sent me the pic's as well. When your down there take a look at your Bump Stops.   Donald

No 2500 came with it, but the bracket is there.

Back