• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

50 inch lightbar mounted to roof rack

heavychevy2003

So I asked for a 50 inch light bar for Christmas. I only have one problem I just don't know we're to mount it to, I really do NOT want to drill in my roof because I heard you have to take te headliner out and I just spent all of my money on an avalanche I can't see myself taking a drill to her, I love her to much  :love: :B: but anyways I was thinking that their would be a way to mount the 50 inch light bar on the roof rack. Has anyone done this I am wondering how it would work? And also were do you run the positive and the power switch wire? I don't want to just tape wires down my avalanche. Also I got a bull bar for the front of my truck and another 15 inch light bar is their a way I could just tie the 50 inch light bar to the 15 inch light bar? So I only have one switch to turn them both on? Thanks guys and I promise if you answer my question now I won't flash you  :laugh:

You can probably find a way to mount them to your luggage rack but you still need to run your wires some how. you could possiblly run the wires under the door weather trim into the engine area and from there tie it to the front light bar. You will have to run at least one wire into the cab for a switch. You should be able to run both of your light bars off one relay and have the relay go on and off with a switch in your can. If you look by your steering wheel you can see 2 rubber boots. Look at what is inside the truck at both of those boots and you should be able to find one of them you can put a very small slice into and run a wire through it. Best way is to probably force a coat hanger through and tape an end of your wire to the coat hanger and pull it back through.

If you need more guidance let me know.. But you should get the gist of it. You could run the ground for the relay coil through the rubber boot and run that through your switch to a ground inside your cab. The power on the coil of the relay could then go to an ignition source under your hood to insure it only goes on when your ignition switch is on or you could wire it directly to the battery. For the NC/NO connections on the relay you want the normally open going to your lights and the COM going to the battery directly.

You don't need to drop the headliner to install light bar brackets. Got mine from socalsupertrucks.com Instructions are in color and dummy proof. Allot easier than trying to figure brackets for the roof rack. I have a curved 50" on my '04. If you need pics, just ask.

Back