• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anyone on Long Island use their Av for the off road beach camping?

jme5343

Thinking about getting one of the permits, particularly for the Smith Point beach to do some all-day lounging during the week.

I know there's a list of requirements: jack, jack board, air compressor, shovel, blah, blah, blah.  I have all that stuff, so figure it's worth a try.  I can't, however, find a lot of info about people's experiences doing the 4x4 thing out there and camping all day. 

I used to live in Shirley just off of William Floyd pkwy, PM Tartan Terror,
He still lives out there but I have seen Jeeps and Trucks out there.If you go to Smith point there is a visitor center where you can get the paperwork, just in case go to the William Floyd library and should have the correct booklet. (y)

Go to smith point and go to the building at the end where the rv's are or go to any campground or golf course in suffolk county,then you need to get your Green Key which gives you discounted rates for all county parks,pools,and beaches(especially with parking and camping).they should also have the paperwork for outer beach access for 4wd vehicles ect.
To start with the green key you need two forms of id/ proof of residence.
( sorry for the delay,had to confirm with my wife since she knows better)
Green key lasts 3yrs.

AVinSbyCt said:
Do you need to be a resident?
Residents get the lower price and non resident still get a discount just not as low.
Google Suffolk county green key. (y)

Happy new year as well.

Back