• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

So I get this knock on the door today...

pktwatch

SM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2004
SM 2003
....and when I answer the guys says "I wonder if it's OK to take a look at your Avalanche"? So I invite him to to discuss what it is he is really wanting. It seems he was the previous owner and the one who pinted the custom flames on it! We talked for a good while, I told him about the club and find out that he has owned 2 Avalanches but does not own one now. I think he was missing his baby..........

He left his business card and is a director of a art museum and I found the HE painted the Avalanche himself! He had help and a friend who is in the auto painting business who helped and let him use his paint booth. I think he was wanting to see how well his custom paint was holding up and it's doing great!

Very cool.  I didn't realize you bought the truck that way.  (y)

Z66 BUTCH said:
....and when I answer the guys says "I wonder if it's OK to take a look at your Avalanche"? So I invite him to to discuss what it is he is really wanting. It seems he was the previous owner and the one who pinted the custom flames on it! We talked for a good while, I told him about the club and find out that he has owned 2 Avalanches but does not own one now. I think he was missing his baby..........

He left his business card and is a director of a art museum and I found the HE painted the Avalanche himself! He had help and a friend who is in the auto painting business who helped and let him use his paint booth. I think he was wanting to see how well his custom paint was holding up and it's doing great!
  Z66 Butch.  You have a beautiful Truck.  You left a card on my Red 2005 Avalanche at rest stop.  Thanks for the card. 

dmonroe814 said:
  Z66 Butch.  You have a beautiful Truck.  You left a card on my Red 2005 Avalanche at rest stop.  Thanks for the card. 

:welcome: to the club!!! Glad to see that tagging still works  (y)

I wish one of the 50 trucks I've tagged in the last year or so would pop up on here as well  :laugh:

Where & when was this? I am still tagging Avalanches all the time, hope that you can join us at a GTG some day!

dmonroe814 said:

Ian, I have had better luck than some getting folks to reply to tagging. At least 2 of them have attended GTG's and do not even own a computer! They called me after I tagged them, I explained the club and then called them back and invited them to a GTG when the next one came up.......

4x4dreamer said:
:welcome: to the club!!! Glad to see that tagging still works  (y)

I wish one of the 50 trucks I've tagged in the last year or so would pop up on here as well  :laugh:

Hey Butch, I've been getting more response from coworkers since I started wearing the last half dozen or so AV-Club pocket T-shirts to work regularly. It's funny, most know my '04 AV on sight and know me but never put 2+2 together before. It just dawned on me, I've been driving an Avalanche nearly half of my 30 years at GM.

I've got a few to troll the website and consider a GTG. I have to laugh when some of them tell me they don't own a computer or know how to use one while holding a smart phone in their hand,...

Pretty neat Butch, btw your 02 is still rollin around, Charlie parked next to it at Menards in Fishers today!

Didit

Didit said:
Pretty neat Butch, btw your 02 is still rollin around, Charlie parked next to it at Menards in Fishers today!

Didit

Yea I see it once in a while. I wish that I had taken that teak bed rack and running boards off before I traded her in but it was winter time and just to cold for me.....the new owner painted them black. Good luck getting any paint to stick to teak!

Z66 BUTCH said:
Good luck getting any paint to stick to teak!

Rough the surface enough and the right primer,... maybe.

Teak might look good with a really dark wood stain but didn't you already put some type sealer on it? Teak is such a hard wood I'd want it virgin, sanded down and use an almost watery stain to see how much it would absorb then light sand and repeat.

Just cleaned and teak oiled it once or twice a year. The natural oil in teak that keeps it from rotting is also what keeps paint from sticking.....

I forgot about teak's natural oils, I think teak would look good darker, maybe an oil based stain.

Back