• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Shofield Pass in Colo..........

sorel

SM 2003
Anybody done Schofield pass in Gunnison county Colorado? If so i would like to hear about your experiece, i did it, and will never do it again, it's really scary.

Avialanche said:
Anybody done Schofield pass in Gunnison county Colorado? If so i would like to hear about your experiece, i did it, and will never do it again, it's really scary.
I was with a friend many years ago in his Toyota 4x4 and your right it is verry scary, especially when you meet someone coming the other direction. There aint no place for a u-turn there.

Dave02Z66 said:
I was with a friend many years ago in his Toyota 4x4 and your right it is verry scary, especially when you meet someone coming the other direction. There aint no place for a u-turn there.
I was lucky i didn't run into traffic coming from the opposite direction, if that did happen and it was somthing smaller than my av, i would've made them back up, my wheelbase is just too long for those narrow curves in reverse.

I've never driven this trail, but I really want to. I have a book of trails in Colorado and this trail is in it. There's a really good description and pictures of the trail. Looks challenging. It says that in 1970 that 7 family members were killed when their suburban plunged from the shelf road down 200 feet into the river. And in 1997, 7 vehicles slipped off the road also. But it then goes on to say that all of these drivers were very inexperienced. Honestly, I'd be a little nervous about taking the AV on the trail. I'd much rather take my Jeep the first time. I don't think I'll be able to make it there this year, but hopefully next 4x4 season.

MrandMrsBurton beat me to it. The sight of the most deadly off-roading related deaths in Colorado history.

I will do this when I get my lift kit and winch - probably next summer due to hunting season and (of course) snow season. They said in the books that this one starts deceptivly easy - then gets real difficult and narrow.

Maybe we can do this for all of the hard core people if we have a get together (regional or national) next year in Colorado.

Castle Rock,
I'll let ya know how it goes with the jeep and whether the AV's can do it. I hope to do it in about 3 weeks. Oh yeah, are you gonna try to make the GTG this month? MeanGreen hasn't said exactly when it will be. I only have the 23-24 off, so hopefully it will be then. Talk to ya later.

That was my concern - whether the AV would be too wide to do this trail comfortably. I told MeanGreen that I could re-arrange my plans for that weekend - I may bring the whole family if we do a mild-medium cruise. My Dad will be in town with his wife - and would probably bring the 22 month old daughter and wife as well. I will follow-up with you on the other topic.

Steve

Whichever date the most people can come to is when I want to have a GTG. I know Blueruck said it didn't matter whether we did this without him but I want him to be included which would mean the weekend before the Labor Day weekend. So yes, I am leaning toward that weekend. But if you want me to be more specific, Sunday the 24th would work far better for me than that Saturday.

I am going to request that we don't do anything too wild. The Av is not my investment - it's my parents' and my dad does not want anything where there is the chance of damaging the Av. This doesn't mean he wants some easy trail - this just means he'll take a pretty challenging trail as long as there isn't the threat for damage.

Anyway, let's just continue this discussion in the other thread :).

While i have not drove the Shofield pass yet, I did recently do the Ptarmigan Pss near Redcliff. It was fantastic and should be no problem for the Avs! Has anyone else drove this pass?

~bekind

Back