• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

onstar

39chev

Hi I have 2004 chev avalanche that has onstar in it.how do I get it hooked back up.
Adrian ramler
st.joseph, mn
2004 chevy avalanche z71off.

Press the blue button on the rear view mirror.

JohnnieMo said:
Hahahahaha. Best reply ever.

Yeah I think he is a newbie, sometimes simple is the way to go.

39chev said:
Hi I have 2004 chev avalanche that has onstar in it.how do I get it hooked back up.
Adrian ramler
st.joseph, mn
2004 chevy avalanche z71off.

If it was built in the first half of the 2004 model year, the OnStar is analog and will have to be upgraded to digital, since analog is no longer supported as of 2007. There were digital upgrade kits available through the dealerships but I am not sure if the kits are still available, I don't think they are.

MLM said:
If it was built in the first half of the 2004 model year, the OnStar is analog and will have to be upgraded to digital, since analog is no longer supported as of 2007. There were digital upgrade kits available through the dealerships but I am not sure if the kits are still available, I don't think they are.

MLM is correct, on my 2004 I had to go to Chevy dealer and get conversion to digital (I think it was included in a yearly contract or offered at a discount with contract at the time?).

Yes my 04 still has the analog antena so no onstar for me but I put a 09 corvette vcm unit and now I have factory blue tooth and digital onstar but can't find the solution for the analog antena either thru onstar or my local dealer they both refer me back to the other.

Aw so that is what you are trying to do. You should have given the details in you first post.
Now I have the digital upgrade in my 03 also, but not the bluetooth one.

Now how GM does it the dealer puts in the equipment then they call ON* to get it working.
PS it took them(onstar) 2 days to get mine working.

I have seen members try the same thing in the 07s and Onstar could not make it work on with a used VCIM.

I believe the VCIM has ROM(Read Only Memory) memory and can not be changed.

I did not mean to blow you off with the blue button comment

There are tons of differences between the 03-06 versus the 07 up.

First you are going to have a bunch of problems.

If think you need the second design

Attachments

• onstar..GIF
    onstar..GIF
    6.5 KB · Views: 102
Did not even notice that, MLM

I still would like to know how  Fire guy got his to work, if it were that easy every one would do it.

As I recall when I did the Analog to digital with the 03, the antenna was just a tad shorter, but a little fatter.

Where is Sperry?  ??? He may have left some clues.  :love:

After looking at some old pics, I think you are right WC the old antenna is about 4 inches long the new one is about 2 1/2 inches.

MS03 2500 said:
Did not even notice that, MLM

I still would like to know how  Fire guy got his to work, if it were that easy every one would do it.

I did not get onstar to work still need to swap the entena but I used a corvette vcm (one of the few classII data buss made with blue tooth) so I could get factory blue tooth and it works great! You have to take the dash out to get to the vcm so kinda tricky but not to hard.

Thanks fire guy, oh yeah I know where it's at. I no longer use On* but had no idea the newer VCIM would work in the in the 03-06.

I don't think anyone ever got the on* to work, On* just can't get it done.

Hi I have a 2004 chevy avalanche that I bought over Christmas.went to my local GM dealership and there is a recall on for the young star going from analog to digital. GM is paying all of except$214.00.

Adrian ramler
st .joseph mn 

Back