• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How can it be

Try2kup

I have a 2007 Graystone LTZ with 86500.
Was giving her a well deserved hand washing when I discovered RUST bubbles.
Behind the rear door in front of the rear tire.  The area is protects by the running board, so it acme as a shock to me to find it there.  I crawled underneath and nothing on the underside.
I am thinking this would be the area below the mid-gate.  I have heard that the earlier Avs had some leaking issues to the inside but have never heard of or seen any  of the new platform rusting out here.
Anyone else seen this?

Have you had this AV since 2007? Or did you buy it used?

What part of the country do you live, maybe there was lot of road salt and chemicals which were thrown up there and caused the rust?

If your AV was used maybe it was caught in a flood?

I live in Minnesota (land of 10,000 tons of road salt).  Truck was only about 18 months old when I bought and appeared to be well taken care of. The truck was bought new from the same salesman that sold it to me.
I classify myself as fussy also.  Maybe my over washing and rinsing out the wheel wells has came back to bite me. The only way I can see moisture getting into the area is it would have to go through the 2 factory holes at the top of the wheel well liner and run down.  Going to have to take out the liner and check it out.

It only take a small scratch through the paint to start rust, some members have said there is some foam behind the fender the causes rust problems in that area.

There are no scratches it is rusting from the inside out.
I grew up with my dad owning a body shop.  That's why this is so frustrating for me.

Back in the day this was known as Chevy disease. Rocker panels, bottom of doors, lower rear of front fender, lower front of rear fender could all be counted on to rust through early. Better these days, but.....

05snopro440 said:
And that helps how?

As explanation. Thread title was..."How can it be". It can be 'cause that's the way Chevy trucks be. Better now but the issue's still extant. Been dealing with this Chevy problem since '75. My Y2K Silvy spent it's well maintained life here in high altitude, dry climate country where no salt was nor ever has been used on the roads. The lower front door panels were still beginning to rust through when I sold it at 37K miles in 2008.  On this issue GM just never seems to get it.

Itxi is completely right. I love my Avalanche, but there is no denying Chevy trucks rust. I've seen Chevy trucks as new as 2009 with holes rotted in the frame, especially the rear crossmembers where the shocks and gas tank attach. My own Avalanche does not have frame cancer because it was undercoated heavily. That did not stop the brake and fuel lines from rotting out, and there are some spots where body rust is starting to show, including the rockers in front of the rear wheels and the rear wheel openings underneath the plastic mouldings

Back