• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AFM Range Tech Usage?

Linescreamer

Just curious.  What do you guys do?  Do you use the Range 100% of the time or just when not driving on the highway?  I have been tempted to pull it out for highway trips; let's say anything over 30 minutes of highway driving to save fuel.  What's the consensus on this?

Which Range module are you talking about, the AFM Disabler or the AFM Plus?

I have the disabler and I just leave it in. I don't see a point in putting it in and out and I don't think it has reduced my mileage noticeably. Since I installed it to reduce the chance of AFM-related engine problems, I don't want AFM to ever kick in. I guess it depends on what your intent of having it is.

Well, I wouldn't pull it for short highway trips like that. If at all.

My experience...it will affect fuel economy for long distance cruise. I have two Nelson performance tunes....one is a 91/93 octane with AFM disabled for daily and anything up to a day of long distance highway driving. The other is an 87 octane with AFM on I use for my couple of times a year couple week road trips into low altitude country. That's worked well for me for the last seven and a half years but at  the first, least hint of any oil consumption issue with the road trip tune I'd turn off AFM in that one as well.

I believe AFM is supposed to increase fuel mileage by about 8%.

enoniam said:
I believe AFM is supposed to increase fuel mileage by about 8%.

It doesn't, in my experience.

If you're worried about mileage I don't see why you would disable AFM at all. I'm concerned with my truck being reliable for its entire life and not using oil, so I don't care if using the Range AFM Disabler reduces my mileage a little, but from what I can tell it made little to no difference.

I just reread that GM AFM bulletin.  Correct me if I am wrong.  The AFM 4,6,8 engine develops oil consumption issues due to piston ring failure/excessive oil deposits when the engine is in 4 cylinder mode.  Not due to the switching back and forth from 8 to 6 to 4.  Is that correct?

Linescreamer said:
I just reread that GM AFM bulletin.  Correct me if I am wrong.  The AFM 4,6,8 engine develops oil consumption issues due to piston ring failure/excessive oil deposits when the engine is in 4 cylinder mode.  Not due to the switching back and forth from 8 to 6 to 4.  Is that correct?

Not really. When it switches to 4 cylinder mode there's a lot of excess oil pressure. Since there's no pressure on the other side of the rings on the non-running cylinders, the piston cooling spray on the bottom of the pistons can eventually foul and bypass the oil rings.

My AFM never even kicks in when I am above 65mph. With the majority of highways being 70mph and I tend to drive 5 over I never see the AFM kick in on long trips.

Now the 5.3 in my Impala is a consumer, and the AFM on that car turns on ALL the time.
It uses about a quart and a half every 3k. The car is only driven around town.

I turned mine off via my diablo intune due to excessive oil use, since turning it off my gas mileage hasn't changed much apart from an indicated increase (more so from the tune) but this is +1 or 2mpg only, but my oil consumption has dramatically decreased. While in theory it is a great idea, the practical application in the early engines needs a lot to be desired.

Hey All, just wanted to report on my experience with using the AFM Disabler.  I've been using it for about 6 months now, and have been very pleased with it.  I drive mostly city and average 14.0-14.5 mpg.  I did not detect a noticeable change in mpg after I installed the device.  The accelerator response is greatly improved, and no more annoying switching between V4 and V8.

There is one issue I wanted to share though.  I leave it plugged in all the time, and after a month or so it sometimes stops working and the vehicle reverts back to switching in and out of V4.  The blue lights on the module still light up as if it's functioning normally, but it does not keep the engine in V8 mode.  The fix for this is simply resetting the unit by unplugging/reinstalling the module.  I emailed Range about this and their response was: "While in use with some vehicles, the module's timing command loop ?runs out? (for lack of a better term) and needs to be reset".  They confirmed that I had the most updated firmware, but offered to exchange the unit if I wanted.  I decided that wasn't necessary, and now I just remember to reset it every time I fill up with gas. 

That's it, just wanted to let others know since I hadn't seen this issue mentioned in any of the Range threads.

Back