• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Cruise control

Coolio

The cruise control stopped working on my 2012 Avalanche. The light on the dash doesn't come on when I press the button on the steering wheel, basically nothing happens. Is there a "quick" way to check problem.. Fuse, relay,etc. Oddly my wife's 08 Tahoe did the same thing the next week.. Any suggestions?

There should be a separate fuse for the cruise control system, just not sure if in inside fusebox or under hood. It maybe mentioned in your owner's manual. If you don't have one you can look at a copy in our "resources" section.

Good luck.

As a side note, not sure what part of country you are in but owner's manual warns not to use cruise in snow/ice conditions.....just a thought but maybe traction control sensors are detecting slippery conditions and not allowing you to set the cruise? Not sure though since I don't have a 2012 newer system.

I think all vehicles say that in the owners manual. My 03 Jeep did and so does the Tonka trucks manual. I would also check the junction block under the rear end. Not sure on the  new ones but mine shorted the trailer brake light circuit and the cruise would not work. I chased wires for weeks and then when I plugged my camper in I noticed that the lights were lit up as if the brakes were applied. Some straightening out on the wiring harness and no issues since  (y)

2012 Avalanche."...... Cruise control stopped working. Any quick diagnosis?? Fuse, relay,etc
My wife's 2008 Tahoe cruise stopped working the next week... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

wyotonka said:
I think all vehicles say that in the owners manual. My 03 Jeep did and so does the Tonka trucks manual. I would also check the junction block under the rear end. Not sure on the  new ones but mine shorted the trailer brake light circuit and the cruise would not work. I chased wires for weeks and then when I plugged my camper in I noticed that the lights were lit up as if the brakes were applied. Some straightening out on the wiring harness and no issues since  (y)
If it stopped working the first place I would go is the fuse... if that is good start checking tail lights, the cruise control works off of voltage, anything out of the ordinary wont let the system run. Are all of your bulbs in the brake lights good?

Bulb issues will cause cruise control to not work as will an engine trouble code.

Is your MIL lit up?

I believe in anything 2003 and newer don't use a mechanical cruise anymore since it is drive by wire for the pedals. (No throttle cable is the big indication.)

So it HAS to be an issue with your lighting or a trouble code that won't let the cruise engage.

Rodney

Don't know about the 2nd gen AVs but in the first gens a faulty brake pedal switch can also prevent cruise control from working.  If your torque converter is also not locking up that switch could well be the problem.

Vaeagleav said:
As a side note, not sure what part of country you are in but owner's manual warns not to use cruise in snow/ice conditions.....just a thought but maybe traction control sensors are detecting slippery conditions and not allowing you to set the cruise? Not sure though since I don't have a 2012 newer system.

I'm not sure how many of us are from winter climates, but if you've seen a vehicle go out of control on winter roads due to using cruise control you definitely don't use it in winter conditions. Unless you want to be a Darwin Award winner.

wyotonka said:

Any chance you could expand on this?  My cruise has quit, and the fuse is fine.  However until I read this I never correlated that my brake controller has been illuminating lately, and it never does that unless a trailer is connected.  In my case, there is no trailer connected so it should just say n.c. for not connected. 

Hey Johnnie, mine used to do that also, just take the slide bar on the controller, and move it side to side and it'll be good for awhile, lol

Didit

So the brake controller is behaving properly now but the cruise still isn?t working. So I tried booting the brake pedal a few times and it started to work. So I think the brake sensing thingy is the issue. Now I just need to find a part number.

I ended up ordering this.  There appears to be two possible parts, the brake light switch and the brake pedal position sensor.  Most of the reviews I read stated that you may need one or both, but it would appear this one was usually the culprit.

Attachments

• switch.PNG
    switch.PNG
    276.9 KB · Views: 17
JohnnieMo said:
I ended up ordering this.  There appears to be two possible parts, the brake light switch and the brake pedal position sensor.  Most of the reviews I read stated that you may need one or both, but it would appear this one was usually the culprit.

This is what fixed my cruise control problem on two different GM trucks.

(y)

15 minutes to install this part and my cruise control was back to 100%. This is the easiest fix I have ever done.

NEW TO FORUM... 07 AVY .. HAVE A WEIRD ONE AND LOOKING FOR HELP ... CRUISE CONTROL WILL NOT ENGAGE WHILE ANYTHING CLIMATE CONTROL CENTER RELATED IS ON .. OTHER WORDS POWER COMPLETELY OFF FOR HEAT/AC EVERYTHING ... THIS IS ONLY WAY CRUISE WILL ENGAGE. NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID, WHILE CRUISE IS ENGAGED, AND MY WINDOW IS DOWN OR UP .. ANY PUSH OR PULL OF THE WINDOW BUTTON WILL DISENGAGE CRUISE... NEW ALTERNATOR AND BATTERY... FINDING ALL KINDS OF BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH FIXES BUT I THINK THIS IS SOMETHING ENTIRELY DIFFERENT... BEFORE BATTERY SWAP, IF I HAD HEATED SEATS ON AND BLOWER PAST 4 NOTCHES CRUISE WLDNT ENGAGE ... WINDOW THING WAS ALWAYS THERE SINCE PURCHASE BUT DIDNT BOTHER ME .. NOW ALL HELL IS BREAKING LOOSE .. I NEED THE CRUISE! ECM, DOOR OR BODY MODULE???

Sounds like when there is draw on the battery the cruise is cutting out. Is the new alternator and battery the same size as before? Otherwise could be a bad/corroded connection with your battery.

Sounds like it's an electrical problem, though. I don't think a faulty brake light switch would cause your issues, but that's just my opinion.

Could be bad ground somewhere...

Back