• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Brake Lines replaced

mvfd03av

Finally had the pleasure of the brake pedal going to the floor... Was able to drive the 10 miles home and pull it in the garage. Was not hard to see the brake fluid in that famous area for brake line failure, just above the frame rail, and in front of the ABS unit. Ordered a set of SS lines from finelines.com. Already had the front and rear Stoptech SS hoses on hand for a warm day... Since I had a good idea of where the lines go, I cut all the lines off close to the ABS unit in order to use a socket (save the knuckles for the new lines). This kit used a two piece line for the right front, comes with a union. This makes it do-able. Got all the lines replaced, added the SS hoses, got the larger rotors, calipers, brackets and pads for a 2007 Tahoe from NAPA. Tried to bleed manually, unsuccessfully. The rears bled, but the fronts would not flow. Ordered a Motive bleeder with the GM adapter, followed instructions and had it bled out in 15 minutes. All this done on jack stands in the unheated garage, so no beers. I recommend the Motive bleeder, I've used them before with good luck. Cutting the lines close to the ABS unit and using a socket saved alot of time, very little room to turn a line wrench, the fittings on this set were 9/16. Making sure you look where the wire loom to the tranny area goes before removing the old lines. Mine is under the new lines, I would like to change it to over the brake lines, when it gets warmer.  The one thing that puzzles me is the rear axle center brake hose. Why doesn't that come in the Stoptech kit? I looked around and all I see are the standard rubber lines. I mean, if I am going all SS, why not that one too? 

The brakes are still waiting to finish the initial bedding, but did a first cycle and noticed a huge improvement over the previous brake pedal feel, effort and reaction. Ordered new Bilstein 5100s all around based on the appearance of the shocks, the stuff they use on the roads works just as well on ice, snow and my truck.....

Old thread I know...

I have a question for ya or anyone still following this thread.

The rear lines on my 2005 (130K miles) went this week...

Given what you know, would you still do pre-bent lines or, I see AGS has a NiCopp set (CNC-149KIT) that is fully measured, cut and flared but straight (you bend).

I previously had a 2001 2500 that blew out waaay sooner and I had a shop do it...big$$ and it never seemed right after that...this time I'm doing it but I'm NOT looking forward to it...

It seems the straight NiCopp should be a bit easier to install...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Back