• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best supercharger for 2011 avalanche

matteblueavi

I got a 2011 chevy avalanche 5.0L v8 flex fuel. i had it about 2 years now and now im starting to modify it. I am looking for a supercharger. im new to all this modify stuff, so bare with me. I want the best supercharger on the market; One with power and will make my truck sound nice. i want the whole complete supercharge setup. i wil be driving it daily form work college etc. want to knwo if driving it daily will cause problems with it as well. o can anyone help me with this please!

First, welcome to the site!

If I was getting a supercharger and wanted it to be a relatively easy install and a relatively complete kit I would buy this:

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/p-71-tahoe-yukon-suburban-avalanche-48l-53l-2011-2014-magnuson-supercharger.aspx

Many members on this site have this type of kit and are very pleased with it. It is made for everyday driving and towing. It may not be the best for racing but is very reliable. As far as sound that is a subjective thing and varies from person to person. (Never heard of anyone buying a particular supercharger for the sound though.)

Asking for the best supercharger is almost as bad as asking about the best cold air intake, muffler, etc.  Answer depends on what makes "the best" the best for you.

As far as daily driving with one that generally isn't a problem.  Only problem in that regard with my Vortech supercharger is that per the owners manual it shouldn't be allowed to cold-soak overnight below 25 degrees Fahrenheit unless you've got a block heater plugged in.  Some days, such as today, I don't drive it to work since it's going to be cold-soaking in the work parking lot for nearly 9 hours at less than 10 degrees.

However to my knowledge most superchargers do not have that temperature limitation.  I didn't know that about mine until after I bought it.  For me it isn't that bad of a deal.  I park it in our attached garage and on really cold days like today it can still be driven just not left out to cold-soak all day long.  Even here at work I could start it up occasionally to keep the underhood temp above 20 degrees or so.  A long-range remote start would be nice for that!

You should be aware that in general there are 2 types of superchargers.  There's the long screw type that sits directly on top of the intake manifold and pulls air through the throttle body, and the centrifugal type that is arranged a bit like a turbocharger that sits off to the side and pushes the air through some plumbing to the throttle body.  The first type generally builds power at lower rpms and is nice for towing, the second type builds power at higher rpms.  I'm running a centrifugal - the magnuson mentioned above is the other type.

ALso note Adding a Super Charger puts your Tranny and Rear End at more risk for failure.

My Edelbrock eforce ran fine for 4 years pushing the 5.3 to 365 RWHP through the stock trans and axles.  I put about 50k miles on it before it started burning oil.  Ironically right before I pulled it to swap in my 6.0 it stopped smoking...  I think I had a stuck ring that greed itself when I tried to blow it up before swapping it.  BTW, I couldn't hurt it no matter how hard I tried.

Back