• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Tailgate Cladding Clips - Not Catching

cmsatter

Hi, I bought the replacement clips for my 2007 Tailgate's cladding from www.clipsandfastners.com (for the cladding that sits on top of that tailgate when its closed) but can't seem to get any of them to catch. Does anyone know if the tailgate has a different set of clips other than the standard ones for the rest of the cladding or know of any tricks to get them to catch? They seem almost a hair to short.

Are you talking about along the very top of the cladding? Does it look wavy along the top, or is it loose around the front? From the factory, there is 3m double sided tape along the entire perimeter of the top part of the tailgate cladding. Perhaps this has let go and thats what causing it to be loose?

You can get replacement tape at any auto parts store.

Hi, it's actually both the tape that has gone and the clips as well. I have the tape but can't seem to get the clips to catch before I put the tape in place.

cmsatter said:
Hi, it's actually both the tape that has gone and the clips as well. I have the tape but can't seem to get the clips to catch before I put the tape in place.

What kind of clips does it use? I've never had mine off?

I have the same problem and took a few minutes the other day to dig into it.  In my case, there are clips missing but also on the actual cladding, there are molded pieces for the clips to catch on.....it seems that my moldings have also cracked or ripped off, so clips may do no good at all.  Since the molded pieces are part of the inside cladding itself, may need to have the entire cladding replaced, or removed and come up with some fancy idea to repair it, in order for the clips to catch.

I believe the piece your referring to is the spoiler!  Just 3m the heck out of it with or without clips, be slow and careful, it ain't  goin anywhere provided you have cleaned both surfaces before adhesion, make sure you line it up before hand, mark with a sharpy or pencil if need be.  Good luck

Didit

Back