• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Made in Michigan: GM Flint Assembly

FLINTaVa

Silent Avalanche RIP
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Made in Michigan: GM Flint Assembly

Click the photo or link above to view the video and/or read the article.

Flint (WJRT) (02/25/15) - They're Made in Michigan and they're on a roll. The crew cab heavy duty Chevy and GMC pickups are in high demand.

"They're the best truck in the market. They're built well. They're built by strong UAW people. They work very hard to support their families and they're passionate about quality," said Barry Campbell, UAW Local 598 chairman. "We love what we do and it shows in the products we build," said Amy Farmer, GM Flint Complex director. There are about 2,600 UAW members at the plant. "We're building them around the clock," Campbell said. Their jobs can be challenging. The conveyor system is the oldest one GM owns. "This is a tough vehicle to build," Campbell said.

Over its 68-year history, the GM Flint Assembly plant has turned out nine million trucks.

That's a long-running success story that's Made in Michigan.

I should add I've worked there since May 1985 and can't retire soon enough but our UAW chairman and GM plant manager aren't just spouting the company line. We have our share of idiots in both management and labor but the good people far outnumber the bad. This next part of the article is mostly wishful thinking or self delusional, either that or their philosophy of what constitutes teamwork and leadership is vastly different than mine.  ~ Flint4x4  :B:  

The people who work here are proud of their teamwork philosophy. Management and labor work together to solve problems in the plant. "Not only are we employees, we're a team. This team, we work together to produce a quality product," said Mike Ruhl, quality inspector. "We run this business together. We do it daily. We strategize together. We execute together," Farmer said. "The team leaders really take great concern in the issues that arise and the members are really quality conscious," said Steve Dawes, UAW Region 1D. "I'm absolutely proud of the product that we make, of the leadership that we have and the work ethic of the people that work here," said Lori Welch, supplier quality. That work ethic has caught the attention of GM decision-makers. The company has approved the construction of a massive $600 million paint shop just south of the assembly plant. "I think that's a commitment from General Motors to that membership over there," Dawes said.

Thanks to all of our loyal customers  :love:  :B: 

We don't just build Chevy/GMC trucks in Flint, we buy them and drive them too. Me and my coworkers have been laughing at the people quoted in this story, none of them actually build the trucks although some might get their hands dirty on occasion. They got some parts right,... it is a tough job, we are proud of our work and quality is important to us.

We do work together as a team,... a chain gang whose members don't all pull their own weight.  :laugh: 
Nothing a good  :beating: or two  :beating:  :beating: can't solve,...
and we're back to holding hands singing Kumbaya  :rolleyes: working together in perfect harmony  :love:
until the next  :beating:

Flint4x4 said:
Thanks to all of our loyal customers  :love:  :B: 

We don't just build Chevy/GMC trucks in Flint, we buy them and drive them too. Me and my coworkers have been laughing at the people quoted in this story, none of them actually build the trucks although some might get their hands dirty on occasion. They got some parts right,... it is a tough job, we are proud of our work and quality is important to us.

We do work together as a team,... a chain gang whose members don't all pull their own weight.  :laugh: 
Nothing a good  :beating: or two  :beating:  :beating: can't solve,...
and we're back to holding hands singing Kumbaya  :rolleyes: working together in perfect harmony  :love:
until the next  :beating:
You don't have to work hard to pull your weight Loren,,,, You're what? 160# soaking wet with a pocket full of quarters?  >:D

ohiobellboy said:
You don't have to work hard to pull your weight Loren,,,, You're what? 160# soaking wet with a pocket full of quarters?  >:D

Maybe 140# with both pockets full of quarters, since fracturing/dislocating my shoulder last year I look like Scrawny Arms Rob Lowe on the DirecTV commercial :rolleyes:

scrawny-arms-rob-lowe-hed-2014.png

Flint4x4 said:
Maybe 140# with both pockets full of quarters, since fracturing/dislocating my shoulder last year I look like Scrawny Arms Rob Lowe on the DirecTV commercial :rolleyes:

scrawny-arms-rob-lowe-hed-2014.png

I've had both shoulder Rotator Cuffs repaired, 1 in 2004 and the other in 2009. I don't think my arms were ever that skinny, but it is just now that I can clasp both hands behind my head without thinking about it first. My C5, 6, and 7 Spinal Fusion in 2012 was a much easier and quicker recovery. I was back on skis 9 weeks post op with that distraction.  :p :rolleyes: :D

C'mon Flint, I have a few rolls of Half Dollars if you need some help.  :love:

I have yet to be properly quoted with any interview over the past 30 years in print or video. In the end, the gist of the topic comes across, but when you are privy to the real aspects of the topic, well, I've come to learn the writer is not as knowledgeable as you with the subject and doesn't care. He/They have a deadline and are already working on the next 3 stories required this week.  ???

For them, it is ends up in a file. For you/us, we live with it. And proud about our part of involvement too.  (y) We know the Truth!  >:D

Cat Dancer said:
I've had both shoulder Rotator Cuffs repaired, 1 in 2004 and the other in 2009. I don't think my arms were ever that skinny, but it is just now that I can clasp both hands behind my head without thinking about it first.

I've been 5'9", 30" waist, 135 to 150 lbs since 1977 with one exception, I built up to 174 in 1982 then lost 20 lbs of upper body after breaking my hand. I was down to 128 after my shoulder injury last year. My job involves repeated light lifting to above shoulder level which is good for my rotator cuffs. I've had to switch hands to keep my arms from falling asleep while taking phone calls since the '90s but may still avoid rotator surgery.

Teamwork: My shift, second, works together as a team well and leaves third shift good, third shift does the same, day shift works together as a team as it takes a concerted effort to consistently screw second shift. Second shift complaints fall on deaf ears, finally gets tired of picking up after day shift and leaves it to third shift. Third shift picks up the slack and complains louder, finally second and third both leave the job the way first shift has been leaving it. The supervisors and team leaders insist we all start doing the job correctly, (which is what second and third had been asking them to do for months).
Second shift is happy,....day shift works together as a team as it takes a concerted effort to consistently screw second shift. Second shift complaints fall on deaf ears, finally gets tired of picking up after day shift and leaves it to third shift. Third shift picks up the slack and complains louder, finally second and third both leave the job the way first shift has been leaving it. The supervisors and team leaders insist we all start doing the job correctly, (which is what second and third had been asking them to do for months).
Repeat,....

Back