• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

07+ modified front bumper. update with pics

Fish-man

updated 8/10... see bottom post

Anyone do any trimming? Non zl1
Looking for a full trim up past the black fairing.
Pics?

I trimmed a lot on my stock bumper before I built my new one. Took the air dam off for added ground clearance, and trimmed a crap ton on the front of the liner and the rear of the liner as well

did you happen to take any close up pics of the trimming you did?  Also, when you trimmed the dam off, did you need to reinforce the bumper cover mounting?

also, PM sent

pics.
got an old bumper that had some minor damage on the very bottom... cut off the bottom with a box cutter... painted it up... slapped it on

Attachments

• after bumper.JPG
    after bumper.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 241
  • cut spare bumper.JPG
    cut spare bumper.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 233
  • before after at wheel house.JPG
    before after at wheel house.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 237
AVinSbyCt said:
I've been thinking of doing this too. Any negatives?

you need to create some new brackets, since this basically takes the lower bracing out of the equation. I used some thick metal brackets I got from Lowes.
also need to cut the inner liner a bit, since it now hangs down.

Looks great!  :cool:

My question is in regards to the clearance; (as shown in 9.5" photo) looks like the clearance limitation imposed by the air dam was transferred to the skid plate? ??? What is the distance between the plate and ground?

skid plate is way back toward the axle anyhow... but its not in danger at all.

Attachments

• clearance.JPG
    clearance.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 182
AVinSbyCt said:
I've been thinking of doing this too. Any negatives?

Fuel economy.  The lower that front air dam is to the ground, the better the fuel economy.  

Notice how GM's front ends to full size trucks have evolved, with each new generation adding a chin spoiler that is lower and lower to the ground... to divert the air turbulence away from under the vehicle that robs fuel economy.

Several news articles and press releases from GM discussed this very thing.  One of the more recent GM full size truck platform designs underwent more wind tunnel testing during the design phase than any other truck in GM's history.  And despite the squarish, masculine, broad shouldered grilles on the front of these new trucks, the real air management is down under, where it counts.   Look at the chin spoilers of modern trucks today.  They are there to help bring these vehicles closer to new CAFE standards... centimeter by centimeter.

CoveredAV said:
Fuel economy.  The lower that front air dam is to the ground, the better the fuel economy.  

Notice how GM's front ends to full size trucks have evolved, with each new generation adding a chin spoiler that is lower and lower to the ground... to divert the air turbulence away from under the vehicle that robs fuel economy.

Several news articles and press releases from GM discussed this very thing.  One of the more recent GM full size truck platform designs underwent more wind tunnel testing during the design phase than any other truck in GM's history.  And despite the squarish, masculine, broad shouldered grilles on the front of these new trucks, the real air management is down under, where it counts.   Look at the chin spoilers of modern trucks today.  They are there to help bring these vehicles closer to new CAFE standards... centimeter by centimeter.

also true.  more important if you spend a lot of time on expressways... my truck doesn't spend too much time over 60, so I don't expect a large impact to my FE

07 Avy, 235,000 km, 6" lift, 34" tires, 4:56 gears,........ what's this fuel efficiency you speak of ?  ???  :laugh: . But seriously nice mod, looks cool.  Been thinking of trimming off my lower air dam off as well.  (y)

heres my air dam

09C42B6E-06AE-44F6-AD49-26906CECFAA5_zpsbbzeb0tj.jpg

Back