• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Most bags of mulch?

marzahld

SM 2022
PM 2018
SM 2015
I have a large area to mulch on an incline (probably 4-5 cubic yards).  I usually use 2 cu ft bags of mulch because I think its easier to place bags on an incline than fight with a wheelbarrow and shovel.  Let alone the cleanup job afterwards in the bed.  Have heard that bag mulch pays for itself in saved labor time anyhow.

I've been getting 24 bags at a time and just using the bed, but am now thinking about breaking down the midgate to load up more.   

I was wondering who has the record for the most bags of mulch in an Avalanche?  :)

Why not rent a trailer

I think I Put 30 bags in rear once.
No covers and was a tall stack.

I do bulk. I always get a strange look when I tell them to load 2 yards of mulch in the bed because they don't think it will fit.

Cleanup isn't bad as long as you use clear tape to cover over all of the drains and vents. I just use a leaf blower to clean out most of the loose stuff, then pull the bed liner and do it again. I don't use a wheelbarrow to transport either, I rake mulch onto a tarp, then fold the corners and drag the tarp across the yard to where it needs dumped.

I have to admit I did the bulk pickup also put a tarp in the bed and they dumped I think 3 yards.

It actually leveled my 2500, but I found it took waaay to long to stop with that much weight in the bed. So from then on uhaul trailer is the way to go.

I did 100 bags (2 CF) once on my trailer. Made the mistake of not checking the tires when I pulled it out of the woods, and when they put the pallets on the trailer the tires were way low. Had to crawl it behind Lowes, unloaded about 30 into the back of AV and then tried to air up the trailer tires with a small air pump. Lesson learned, always check trailer tires before hitting the store, they may look good with no load, but looks are deceiving.

Anyways, for me the most is 100 bags bed and trailer combined.

Waiting for Lowes to do their 4 for $10 sale, usually happens around this time.

Bringing this one back up again because the last time I loaded bags of mulch in the back, an employee told me he has loaded a pallet (70 bags high shrink wrapped) in an avalanche before...  I was thinking that it would not fit, but maybe it will?  I suppose it would be best to remove the gutters before attempting this.  Anyone done this?

Guess it depends on the bag size which determines the pallet size.

I have had pallets in back of my AVY but with pavers or paint or other things on them.

Back