• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bluetooth OBD II not reading OBD

RCBearings

I bought two different ELM327 code readers and neither one will read the OBD codes.  Both of them power up, the PC yellow light flashes on then off, then the green OBD light flashes on then off.  I have paired them with my phone.  Yes, I have the engine running.  My Samsung phone with several code apps also get nothing from it.  Is there something wrong with the connector?  My Harbor Freight Cen-Tech reader reads codes just fine.

I have been using one of the ELM327 readers without issue on multiple cars and with 3 different phones so far.  I use the free version of Torque.  The one trick I have learned (at least in my experience) is that you have to enable the GPS before starting the app for some reason.  If I start the app before turning on GPS I end up having to power cycle the phone and repairing with the reader.  Other than that I have no complaint.  Was able to use it to diagnose a problem with a O2 sensor and catalytic converter on my sons trailblazer that a local garage could not find.

Where are you getting the elm327 at.

Well, is one of the cig lighter in the inside burnt out also.  If so, its a fuse  IIRC, in the engine bay that is blown.  Change the fuse and you will be good to go. I believe its 15a on the right side.  Maybe the second from the bottom

Double check the bluetooth connection settings. I have a ELM 327 reader as well with both Wifi and USB. I can get my phone to pair to the Wifi but could never get it to get info on the phone. With USB to my AvalanchePC, it works just fine. In the end I gave up since the USB to the PC was my primary connection method anyway.

Thanks for all of the replies. 

Both Cig lighters work. elm327 will pair with the phone but the green OBD light on the elm327 does not stay on.  It only flashes for a half second after I plug it in. Does your green OBD light stay on all the time it is plugged in and the engine is running?

GPS is always enabled on the phone. 

I am wondering if I have a bad OBD connector on the truck.

I have the same problem.. I purchased one of the lil Bluetooth adapters of eBay and it will not work on my 04 avalanche or my sons 01 Chevy truck. Now I can take it and plug it in my wife's car which is a 07 rav4 or my ford work van and it will work. I looked around on the web and found a amazon review from a guy that says they won't work on gm automobile from 96-2007GM. Something about the protocol? But then I see some of you are using them...that's why I'm looking today to see what you guys that are successfuly using the are buying? And where you are purchasing them? I got mine from ebay so any of y'all can give me a link to one that works would be great. Thanks!

Here is the one I am using. I bought it directly from these guys.
https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/pc-based/obdlink-mxwf.html

And here is the bluetooth version
https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/pc-based/obdlink-mx.html

Note that the Wifi version I have will work with iOS devices while the bluetooth version will work with Andriod only. My mobile devices are all iOS devices. I didn't know that was an issue until I called ScanTool. Thankfully they have now updated he site to let potential buyers know.

The GM Enhanced Add-On is great too. It reads a lot more than just OBD codes. It'll read the ABS light, airbag sensors, and a whole lot more. It even reads the hybrid drivetrains. I also use their DashCommand software for Windows and iOS as well as their ScanXL software.

I use the blue tooth version cause I have a droid.

https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/obdlink-mx.html

selbyj said:
I have been using one of the ELM327 readers without issue on multiple cars and with 3 different phones so far.  I use the free version of Torque.  The one trick I have learned (at least in my experience) is that you have to enable the GPS before starting the app for some reason.  If I start the app before turning on GPS I end up having to power cycle the phone and repairing with the reader.  Other than that I have no complaint.  Was able to use it to diagnose a problem with a O2 sensor and catalytic converter on my sons trailblazer that a local garage could not find.

Which reader are you using?  What year is your Avalanche?

Thanks for the reply.

I think you been shopping at Amazon, those unit do not work very well.

RCBearings said:
Here is what I am trying to use:

i have one like the one on the right and it will not talk to the computer in my avalanche or my sons 01 Chevy truck, it will pair but that's it. It works well in my Toyota rav 4. I read that the lil China knock offs do not have the correct protocol installed in them for the chevey trucks like from 98-2007 it won't work . but may work on the newer Chevy's but not sure. What year is your avalanche? And have you tried this device in any other vehicles?

MS03 2500 said:
I think you been shopping at Amazon, those unit do not work very well.

Actually, eBay.  Only paid less than $5 for each one from US shippers.

So, which ones are working for less than $90?  I only want it for my mileage tracking software.

Yeah but at least they do work Lol not a total waste..I plan on using mine in my work van cuz it works in it also. Its like a 04 ford e250. The ones they say are working are like 100$ or so the obd link MX I believe is what mso3 2500 says he is using and that it works for him.

OBD2 scanner http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is the one I use and it works very well.

61s9HO1DcSL._SL1500_.jpg

Now, this sucks!  I got a bluetooth reader that works and I find that my Avalanche ECU does not output the odometer (MIC) reading!  Negates the whole reason for getting the OBD reader in the first place! :E:

ScanTool offers the GM Enhanced Diagnostics package. That reads things like the ABS, Odometer etc. The generic obdII reader does not pull the odometer readings

LOL. Another thing odometer readings is one of the things manufacturers will not want you to access and for good reason. If OBDII readers could access the odometer, lots of unscrupulous folks would be rolling back their odometer before selling their vehicles. If you want to get your vehicle speed, MAF Sensor, O2 sensor reading, engine temp etc, that's one thing. Accessing the odometer, well that's something else completely.

Back