• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bed Panels Leaking

SharpAvalanche

:help: Has anybody had the problem of their bed panels leaking? I believe mine is leaking water right at the back between #3 panel and tailgate. :E: Does anybody know of any solutions to fix this?

Oh boy have I.  Check out this thread.  http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,139885.0.html.  At the end of the day, my problem was the strikers.  I would start by adjusting them slightly forward to obtain a tight fit between the tailgate and the bed panel.  Here's a picture of what you need to adjust.  Take the taillights off to adjust it. 

IMG_20140929_200956925.jpg

Good luck.

or do what I did ... go to a home improvement store ... get a seal kit .... mine was about 1/4 inch x 1/2 thick .... put it on on panel 2 and 3 and my leaks were gone

John

I'll look and see if I can find out how to adjust the strikers. I also can get some gasket from where I work, it's 1" wide by 1/4" thick. I'll try it out and post a pic of it later on. Thanks for the info tho!

SharpAvalanche said:
I'll look and see if I can find out how to adjust the strikers. I also can get some gasket from where I work, it's 1" wide by 1/4" thick. I'll try it out and post a pic of it later on. Thanks for the info tho!
Let us know how it goes.  (y)

TO adjust strikers:
Loosen
Move
Retighten...

They will only move about 1/16 to 1/8" max...

ORRRR you can take it to the dealer and have em replace the seals, hehe.  Leaks at the tailgate should be expected, just because of the nature of the beast, tail gate opening and closing quite often tends to wear the seal down a bit.  I'm more concerned about between the panels which is where mine were leaking, dealer replaced them under warranty!  Seems to me like the dealers warranty price for the seals was around 900 bucks, ugh.

Didit

I was able to get some gasket from work. It doesn't look as pretty as I had hoped, but I think it might work until I can find another solution. I just put it on after work today, so I'll wait and see what happens when it rains again  (y)

411243301.jpg

Another place to look is the seal area where the window meets the seal. Look at your window trim, the black plastic around the window. If it has a crack in it water will go right by the seal and into the cab...

Also during the rainy season try not to park your AV facing down hill. No mater how good the seal is against the window and midgate, a little bit of rain is not a big deal but if it down pours there will be a lot of water ponding up against the window and the slightest leak will let a lot of water in.

krazycarguy said:
FYI, the bed was never ment to be water proof. Its has a water management system, not a water proofing system.

To funny, the tech that looked at mine said the exact same thing, and liike I told him, your damn management system is not working correctly because my stuff is getting wet!    lol

Didit

Didit said:
To funny, the tech that looked at mine said the exact same thing, and liike I told him, your damn management system is not working correctly because my stuff is getting wet!     lol

Didit

What, you expect management to work, LOL!!!

Back