• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

a petition for gm to recall the dash in our trucks that are cracking

joelowrider

I thought I would share this it is a petition someone started to recall the dashboards in our trucks

https://www.change.org/p/recall-2007-2013-vehicles-due-to-the-safety-of-cracked-dashes

That's a interesting twist on the cracked dash problem.

I can understand them covering it if your vehicle is 2-3 years old...but 8? Lol...no.

Yeah, should be pretty easy to understand 2 to 3 years, that's called a manufacturers warranty  :rolleyes:

The problem when there is a defect that presents a safety issue, it needs to go beyond that 2-3 year period, that's when they need to issue a recall. Such as nonworking airbags and supposed faulty washer fluid heaters.

This individual isn't putting out a petition on getting freebies for an aging vehicle, they're addressing a safety concern that gm is aware of but not willing to fully own up to. But I guess after 2-3 years consumers should just expect their safety to be jeopardized and ignored because they didn't run straight out and get another brand new vehicle after a couple years... lol...no.

I put a dash mat on when I bought it new, gotta keep,the sun off of it, my 1978 car isn't cracked either, Matt also. 
Gotta use a Matt

I agree grnxnam I don't know how a cracked dash would be considered a safety issue unless it affected airbag deployment somehow or maybe impact protection?

Burrd I also use a dashmat since AV was new but still developed the crack/rattle but it did take 6 years to show up.

As far as on line petitions, I have read in many places that that is a waste of time since the names and addresses are hard to verify and in some cases the lack of a hard signature makes it worthless. So while signing one may make you feel better it won't have any effect but to possibly open the person up to identity theft, spamming or other such aggravation and problems.

I know a guy that has luck fixing dashes for F body's, you could talk to him. 

I'm a bit dismayed that the dashes in these are straight-up plastic instead of being covered in some sort of vinyl or leather. Feels cheap and the fancy car folks always talk smack about Chevy interiors.

My solution was to tint my windshield.  :cool:

My '09 is cracked with only 57k on it. It is well kept and has never been off road. It cracked in 2 places. One in front of the IP cluster and one in front of the passenger air bag. After inspection of the drivers side crack it seems apparent that the dash is bolted down in such a way as to create a swelling or binding which has put a flex into the dash. No wonder it cracked where it did. Nothing so obvious on the passenger side crack.

Back