• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

High Mileage Oil seems to be helping

marzahld

SM 2022
PM 2018
SM 2015
I hate to start another oil thread, but I think I'm starting to see some good things happening with HM oil.
I even bought cheap store brand hm oil from wally world. 

I changed mine a few months back and it is now burning up less oil.  I also have a very slow oil leak that I believe it is slowing down.  I've been checking the dipstick for the last few months and have not seen it getting lower like I usually do (knock on wood)

I was wondering how many people here have seen benefits from high mileage oil?    If it burns less oil and helps with small leaks its easily worth the price.  I used to have to add a quart or 2 per oil change.  It really wasn't that much more to buy HM.

I have to agree. Since I have changed to Pennzoil high mileage oil changes, oil consumption is relatively low. Less than a half quart added between changes. It good to see another positive user of high mileage oils.

I found no need for HMO.  Even a new PCV valve can cause excessive oil loss.  My Chevrolet 350 5.7L with 257,000 miles used a quart every 1,200 miles for years, even with new PCV valves.  I replaced the OEM PCV with a FIXED ORIFICE PCV and oil use IMMEDIATELY dropped to zero in 1,200 miles.  It increased the oil pressure by 10% at the same time.  They are available for about $6 at any parts store.  There is no rattle because there is no marble inside and the bottom opening on the new part is about half the diameter. If your PCV rattles, replace it with one that does not.

I have been continuing to use the HM oil, but the "band-aid" effect it had for my small oil leak is now gone.  leaking again... :-(  It definitely stopped it for 6 months or so....

I do feel like it consumes less oil when I use HM, but I won't know the full extent of that until my leak is fixed.

Back