• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Z71 Options/differences

Hunter01

With the help of some of you, I have realized the Z71 that I purchased a few weeks ago is actually NOT a Z71 after all  :cry:. Didn't bother me too much at first but now it is.  :dunno:
I didn't do much homework on the option package of an Avalanche mainly because I wasn't looking for an Avalanche.
What are the list of Z71 options?
Anyone know what is all involved with swapping the front end with a Z bumper?
Is it price effective to make a clone or does it not really matter?

It is probably only going to matter to you.
Check your RPO Codes. What does it say about a Z-71?

This is good but it doesn't mention the Z71 decal on the dash or square fog lights instead of round. Just wondering what ALL is different and I cant find one place that tells me everything - so I am looking to the forum for help.

"A special Z71 package was offered for the second generation Avalanche. This off road package consisted of a suspension tuned for rough terrain, an exclusive automatic locking rear differential, aluminum under body skid plates (visible from the front of the truck), wheel flares, badges, wheels and tires."

Attachments

• 08z71.GIF
    08z71.GIF
    19.9 KB · Views: 594
Things I care about exclusive to the Z71....springs and shocks, wheel and tire combination, and the front end treatment (for ground/snow clearance reasons). Also much prefer the step rails, interior trim bits, and that the package includes a 4:10 G80 locker.

ltxi said:
Things I care about exclusive to the Z71....springs and shocks, wheel and tire combination, and the front end treatment (for ground/snow clearance reasons). Also much prefer the step rails, interior trim bits, and that the package includes a 4:10 G80 locker.

Step rails are better looking, I agree. Thankfully I have the G80 option on my truck.

Hunter01 said:
With the help of some of you, I have realized the Z71 that I purchased a few weeks ago is actually NOT a Z71 after all  :cry:. Didn't bother me too much at first but now it is.  :dunno:
I didn't do much homework on the option package of an Avalanche mainly because I wasn't looking for an Avalanche.
What are the list of Z71 options?
Anyone know what is all involved with swapping the front end with a Z bumper?
Is it price effective to make a clone or does it not really matter?

Not sure if it differs from year to year and some listed in the promo literature and not on the sticker but for my '13:

Exterior:
Front bumper fascia with a raised silver painted center and attached aluminum plate
Off road skid plate package over the engine and tranny
Tubular aluminum assist steps
Wheel flares
Chrome grille
"Z71"emblem on the "C" pillar or decal on the rear quarter of the '13

Mechanical:
High capacity air filter
Stiffer off road handling in the steering box and suspension
Bielstein (red colored) air charged shocks
Standard locker rear end
Standard 2 speed transfer case
18" aluminum wheels

Interior:
Aluminum trim on dash panel and doors in place of woodgrain
Carbon fiber panel on speedometer pod with "Z71" emblem
Speedometer labeled with numbers 20 mph increments instead of 10

This should help you with determining if the avy has the Z-71 option package.

Attachments

• gloveboxnmbrs.JPG
    gloveboxnmbrs.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 499
Well that kinda blows. I have a Z71 and after looking at the pic above I decided to go look at mine. Turns out I do have a G80 and GU6 (3.42). It's not in the same location as in the pic above though......

Oxsign said:
Well that kinda blows. I have a Z71 and after looking at the pic above I decided to go look at mine. Turns out I do have a G80 and GU6 (3.42). It's not in the same location as in the pic above though......

Lockers were standard on Z71s but rear axle configurations change with years and tranny .....my 4 spd was a 3:73 and the 6 speed a stock a 3:42.....the latter six speed gear ratio in first gear configuration being equivalent to a 4:11 in first on a 4 speed.

I have an LTZ and Z71 both on my truck and to tell you the truth I have no idea what the dam differences are...

I have the auto ride, no navi, no flares, and round fogs and front bumper is one color..

so anyone know the difference??

Orla5555 said:
I have an LTZ and Z71 both on my truck and to tell you the truth I have no idea what the dam differences are...

I have the auto ride, no navi, no flares, and round fogs and front bumper is one color..

so anyone know the difference??
You have both and you can't tell the basic differences between the 2?? What years are they?? Right of the bat these are different....

LTZ = No flares, round fogs, solid front bumper

Z71 = Skid plate front bumper, square fogs, fender flares

Oxsign said:
You have both and you can't tell the basic differences between the 2?? What years are they?? Right of the bat these are different....

LTZ = No flares, round fogs, solid front bumper

Z71 = Skid plate front bumper, square fogs, fender flares

Z71 option package only compatible with LT series..........Also easy to tell by the interior....... brushed aluminum instead of woodgrain and speedometer/gauge pods are different for Z71s, usually carbon fiber with a Z71 emblem and numbered in 20 mph increments instead of 10.

I have been looking at 2013 Z71 Avs, every thing that I have seen in the states has always had heated seats, no ventilated seats or heated steering wheel.  About 2 weeks ago I found 2 Z71's at dealers in the states but the trucks were original Canada trucks. Both were Z71 and had the heated and ventilated seat and heated steering wheel.Not the color I have been looking for.  Does anyone know if this was only available in Canada or could you order it in the US?
This is exactly what I want in Fairway Green.  Will maybe find someday.  Or if someone has one and wants to part with it please let me know.

Nope you could order it on any AV. Some folks have added the heated steering wheel, it's a easy mod.

Has anyone tried to add the ventilated seat to a 2013 with out?  If I get a complete seat from an LTZ and the door switch is the wiring all there?  Can someone point me in the direction about the heated steering wheel mod also?

Also,I believe only the Z71 could have two tone interior.

Hunter01 - have you run a carfax or any other checks to see if that AV was in a wreck? Maybe it was and the repair shop didn't replace the front end components with the correct Z71 parts. ??

MS03 2500 said:
Nope you could order it on any AV. Some folks have added the heated steering wheel, it's a easy mod.
Hey MS03...  You say the heated steering wheel is a easy job. My hands are still cold from the winter (lol) , do you know the type of investment, and how do you handle the airbag thing?  Sounds like a little more to it.

Bassman Z71 said:
Hey MS03...  You say the heated steering wheel is a easy job. My hands are still cold from the winter (lol) , do you know the type of investment, and how do you handle the airbag thing?  Sounds like a little more to it.

It took me forever to find this, all you have to do is get a Heated steering wheel. Ebay has tons of them.  Just search "heated steering wheel" on this forum.

Back