• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Shortcut to Avoid Traffic Coming into Pigeon Forge

4x4dreamer

PM 2023
SM 2018
SM 2017
PM 2013
SM 2008
For the last few years, when I visit Tennessee I always take the same back way in from Interstate 40! Depending on the severity of traffic, it can save hours of time!!!

From Interstate 81 merge onto Interstate 40 West East

After approximately 18 miles, take exit 432A toward Sevierville

After exiting, go about 1/4 mile and Turn left on to US-411 toward Chestnut Hill

You will come into Chestnut Hill and continue past the Busch's Baked Bean Factory on to Sevierville

Continue on US-411 until you reach the outskirts of Sevierville

Then turn left onto US-441 Veterans Blvd

Follow this road in past Dollywood and you will end up right in the heart of the Pigeon Forge Strip about a mile from the hotel!

From I-40 to Sevierville, it is a very quiet, nice two lane country road. We've taken this route many times and it just gets prettier and prettier each time!

I just wanted to share with you to try and save some time for folks coming in from 81, or even from 40  

If coming from I-40 West in NC....

Take Exit 443 Foothills Parkway  Rd 339   Watch speed 35mph a Park Ranger does patrol this little strip.
At end of Parkway take a Left onto Hwy 321
Stay on Hwy 321  Look for signs for Gatlinburg Hwy 321 will turn to the right.

Once on Hwy 321 to Gatlinburg you will have a choice to stay on 321 and go into Gatlinburg and then to Pigeon Forge (Longer and possible heavier traffic) or

Look for Rd 416 North turn Right this will be Pitman Center Rd.  There's a big sign for Greenbrier Campground. You will follow the river for a while and then cross a small mountain it will come to a stop sign at what looks like the end of 416 you will see a what looks like a cement plant straight ahead.
Turn Left onto Rd 454 South for about 100 yds, at Dunn's Market you will turn right onto Upper Middle Creek Rd
Stay on Upper Middle Creek Rd until it turns into Dollywood Ln.
At end of Dollywood Ln you will Turn Right on to Rd 449 Veterans Blvd
Go about 1/2 mile and turn Left onto Teaster Ln.
Go to the LeConte Center and turn Left onto Jake Thomas Blvd. This will put you on the main Hwy in Pigeon Forge, hotel will be about 3 blocks down to the right across the Hwy

4x4dreamer said:
For the last few years, when I visit Tennessee I always take the same back way in from Interstate 40! Depending on the severity of traffic, it can save hours of time!!!

From Interstate 81 merge onto Interstate 40 West

After exiting, go about 1/4 mile and Turn left on to US-411 toward Chestnut Hill

You will come into Chestnut Hill and continue past the Busch's Baked Bean Factory on to Sevierville

Follow this road in past Dollywood and you will end up right in the heart of the Pigeon Forge Strip about a mile from the hotel!

From I-40 to Sevierville, it is a very quiet, nice two lane country road. We've taken this route many times and it just gets prettier and prettier each time!

I just wanted to share with you to try and save some time for folks coming in from 81, or even from 40 

Part in red is wrong. If you go west on 40 from 81 the first exit you come to is 417, and the numbers go down form there. I think you meant to say go east on 40....

4x4dreamer said:

From Interstate 81 merge onto Interstate 40 West

Don't you mean I40 EAST ?
Exit 1A on left toward Asheville?

According to Google maps, your route adds 9 miles and 17 minutes to my trip.
But I trust you as you have done this before.

edit:
:oops: Sorry Joe, you beat me to it.
The site didn't warn me of your reply when I replied.

GoldBowTie said:

Depending on traffic between the far side of Sevierville and Pigeon Forge that 9 miles and 17 minutes may save you an hour or more. It will depend a lot on what time you will be hitting that area. Thursday evening after 7pm you might be OK. Friday is a gamble anytime unless very early in the morning or after 8pm.

I've got a Facebook group that we try to get traffic conditions posted to in the Western NC area. It is set so you can view posts without being a member of the group. It might help if you are coming through this way.

WNC Road Warriors    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1414106525522490/

GoldBowTie said:

edit:
:oops: Sorry Joe, you beat me to it.
The site didn't warn me of your reply when I replied.

Argh... Yes I did. Thanks for that correction.

Yes it does add a few extra miles, but there has never been any major traffic on that route for us and you completely avoid the stop and go red light traffic from the interstate on in.

I've done that a couple times too. 2 hours to go 6 miles is never any fun!  :laugh:

Anybody on their way from SC using I-26 if you haven't made it to Hendersonville by 4:30 in NC take break for a while. There are multiple wrecks on I-26 starting at the 49mm in NC and covering about a 20 mile stretch. It is a mess. People trying tp avoid the heavy back-up are diverting on to the secondary toads backing them up too.

Back