• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Pre-cut Window Tint

Hunter01

Stumbled across this on Ebay last night and placed an order. Five windows pre-cut and ready to be installed. Suppose to keep its color and never fade to purple. Could not find any bad comments about it online so I ordered it. $26 for all five windows seems to good to be true but its inexpensive and can't take long to do, all the windows are flat! I will let you know how it goes. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

I bought smoe years ago for my 2002.

A somewhat local tinter just cuts the film a bit larger and rolled it intube and sold it to me.

Only issue was my skill and I messed it up.
So I called him and he invited me to his shop where he removed my mess up and installed himself new stuff.

So what did I learn... if you want a pro job let a pro do it.

I haven't used the pre-cut stuff but bought the best I could find from AutoZone and cut myself and installed myself and it looks as good as the professional stuff.

Good motor skills and a ton of patience goes a long way with this stuff. Also can't clean the windows too much. If you think they're clean don't be afraid to go over them one more time. I would recommend a well-lit, dust-free, breeze-free place for installation.

I've never used tint tape but to echo ygmn & avdavidw's advice it's all in the application or more specifically the preparation. I put a large AVALANCHE decal across the top of my windshield in 2004 and it still looks good.

You need a clean and dry surface and a steady hand. If you don't have the patience to follow the instructions and pay
attention to detail don't do it yourself if you want it to last. Both bubbles and purpling are mainly due to improper installation although both can be caused by a substandard product or parking in direct sunlight over a long enough period of time.

That's why you see bubbles and/or purple on one side of a car. They either got lazy half way thru the job or that side was always parked towards the sun.

(y)
Thanks guys. Feeling confident. Going to take some time this weekend and slowly make my away around the truck. I will post pics, hopefully good ones

Yes..I used those precut tint for my av as well and it worked perfectly! Just make sure there's no wind, dust or debris flying around, that can really mess up the install...oh and use plenty of soap and water mix! Good luck!

use plenty of soap and water mix and a lot of squeegeeing (sp).

I just had my done yesterday. By a professional.  lots and lots of soap and water.  It helps you slide it around into place.

RON

I've installed tint on all of my vehicle windows since the mid-'70s.

All the previous tips concerning the cleaning of the windows, a wind-free work area and plenty of soapy water in a spray bottle are good ones.

Don't be afraid of spraying more soapy water on both the tint and the windows than what you think you need.

After it is all said and done, remember that what you use to CLEAN the tint after installation will also determine how well it lasts and if it turns purple later on.

Only use glass cleaners that are "Safe For Tint".

Purple tint is often a result of using a product with ammonia as an ingredient.

You got this!

(y)

EXT4ME said:
Only use glass cleaners that are "Safe For Tint".

Purple tint is often a result of using a product with ammonia as an ingredient.

WARNING: DO NOT URINATE on the tinted glass inside the vehicle  :laugh:

sorry, that's a very good point about using cleaning products. Plastics are petroleum or similar based substances, it's easy to forget they are not impervious to all chemicals like glass.

Flint4x4 said:
WARNING: DO NOT URINATE on the tinted glass inside the vehicle  :laugh:

:laugh:

Dude, you crack me up!

(y)

Back