• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Exhaust tip

spidey

Slowly doing mods, and this one would be simple, and "class up" the Avy

Whats a good exhaust tip to try.  I see the ones with the Chevy logo on them and they look nice and clean.  But then see some that are bigger but also look good.

Do certain ones change the exhaust sound at all?

Wondering what the Avy owners on here have on theirs, maybe give me an idea.

You might want to spend some time reading threads in the exhaust section.......There are many photos of different brands and types of exhaust tips. Some of the variables you already mention.......what is your budget? What style do you consider "classy" single tip? Dual tip? Single wall tip or dual wall? Chrome, stainless or blacked out? Are you going to keep the factory resonator near the tip or remove it? How is the rest of your exhaust system, stock or in need of replacement etc. ?
Some members removed the resonator and installed a SLP exhaust tip, they usually say the sound is a little louder but they are happy with the mod.
I have the Corsa Sport Cat back system and love it but it is pricey. They do sell just the tip in several styles but again they are not cheap but will last a lifetime.

Vaeagleav said:
You might want to spend some time reading threads in the exhaust section.......There are many photos of different brands and types of exhaust tips. Some of the variables you already mention.......what is your budget? What style do you consider "classy" single tip? Dual tip? Single wall tip or dual wall? Chrome, stainless or blacked out? Are you going to keep the factory resonator near the tip or remove it? How is the rest of your exhaust system, stock or in need of replacement etc. ?
Some members removed the resonator and installed a SLP exhaust tip, they usually say the sound is a little louder but they are happy with the mod.
I have the Corsa Sport Cat back system and love it but it is pricey. They do sell just the tip in several styles but again they are not cheap but will last a lifetime.

Guess there is more to it than I thought, I just wanted to add a tip, not change anything else.  Its all stock, I don't know anything about exhaust systems, I leave everything factory

You can add a tip for looks.
GO to local muffler shop and discuss what they have that will fit and maybe go thru catalogs to fnid what you like.

They will ensure it is not restricting and can install as cutting and welding may be required depeneing on what you pick.

Or find one that slips over current pipe and uses set screws to hold it on.

Tips are for looks mainly sound would not change much if at all unless you greatly resticted or got one with a resonator.

Slp resonator delete would be my vote. Around $100 and it looks good and sounds a little louder. Nothing that'll wake the neighbors.

Depends on your preference, but the SLP cannot be beat for price. Its a DIY in your drive way and adds a really classy look with stainless twin tips and a better growl that doesn't hurt the ears during the rev range. IF I had the money i'd go for a full corsa exhaust, but considering its a kid taxi the SLP achieves a better note without costing too many notes! ;o)

Alwaysnosing said:
Depends on your preference, but the SLP cannot be beat for price. Its a DIY in your drive way and adds a really classy look with stainless twin tips and a better growl that doesn't hurt the ears during the rev range. IF I had the money i'd go for a full corsa exhaust, but considering its a kid taxi the SLP achieves a better note without costing too many notes! ;o)

Thanks for the info, but Im not a fan of the dual tips actually.  I could get one with set screws as well, but Ive dealt with those in the past and lost a tip because the set screws went loose over time.  Ill go the local shop and see what they have.

Forgot to post pictures.  Here is my Angled Embossed chrome tip I got for Christmas.  

spidey said:
Forgot to post pictures.  Here is my Angled Embossed chrome tip I got for Christmas.  

Have the same one with the GMC logo....expensive, but not some cheap chrome plated tip and worth the extra bucks.......a nice double wall stainless steel tip first installed on my '07, transferred and polishes up looking brand new on my '13.

Finally figured out how to get my pics up!  (with a little help from members on THIS AWESOME Forum!)

Arrival Day!

Installed!!  (Sorry about the dirty Truck  :eek:)

I set mine back a little further than I think most people do , but I like the "stealthy" kinda look so it's not sticking out far!

Install40 said:
Finally figured out how to get my pics up!  (with a little help from members on THIS AWESOME Forum!)

Arrival Day!

Installed!!  (Sorry about the dirty Truck  :eek:)

I set mine back a little further than I think most people do , but I like the "stealthy" kinda look so it's not sticking out far!

I have the same tip, sitting in my closet.. Waiting for the salt and snow to be officially over before I have it installed...

Rather than cut and clamp myself, I think I am going to go the extra 1/2 mile and have it all welded up. I can't wait to get it on!  :rolleyes:

Just getting rid of the resonator sounds great! But adding this tip and a Volant CAI with Powercore Dry filter....... AWESOME! >:D >:D (y) :drive:

I'm also thinking about a Flowmaster 70 too!

It has a real nice sound with no drone and won't wake the entire neighborhood

Install40 said:
Just getting rid of the resonator sounds great! But adding this tip and a Volant CAI with Powercore Dry filter....... AWESOME! >:D >:D (y) :drive:

I'm also thinking about a Flowmaster 70 too!

It has a real nice sound with no drone and won't wake the entire neighborhood

I can't wait! It has been sitting since December, but I wanted to get at least one season out of it before it gets hit with salt  (n)

Install40 said:
JEGS
it was like $100 free shipping

How are you liking it?

I got mine on a couple of weeks ago, but I DO NOT like how bad it soots up now...

I am wondering how I can integrate the resonator back in with the tip, or do something to fix the soot...

I cannot stand having a black rear lower quarter panel and bumper  :E: But I LOVE the look of the tip

If your vehicle "soots up" it could be that the tips are too tucked in and close to the body. You might consider getting a piece added to get the end father out? Or you might even have a rich running condition and have your fuel air mixture checked and corrected with a tune-up?

I recessed mine too but after about 2 weeks that's  what was happening to mine, and I pulled it a little further out and it was fine.  I love it and with my CAI it sounds pretty freakin awesome whe you open it up
(y)

4x4dreamer said:
I got mine on a couple of weeks ago, but I DO NOT like how bad it soots up now...

I am wondering how I can integrate the resonator back in with the tip, or do something to fix the soot...

I cannot stand having a black rear lower quarter panel and bumper  :E: But I LOVE the look of the tip

I have had mine tucked way back, like 5-6 inches since about 2 weeks after I bought it cause we custom bent the pipes at my buddy place of employment but he only had 1 stick of stainless rod, so we didn't put the tip on. I intended to put it on later but never got around to it. I've never had soot on the fender in over 5 years. Maybe because of how far it is in?
Shoot me a TXT and remind me tomorrow and i'll send you a picture of it.
If you have access to a torch, you can probably heat up and bend the hanger a little to change the angle and make it sweep out a little earlier. there should be enough play in the hanger in front of the axle to allow the pipe to be shifted out a little.

On another note,
Install 40, Where did you find that chip guard you have in the quarter in lieu of a mudflap and what is it made of?
I've been thinking of making something like that since I broke one of my flaps this winter and now have a mismatched pair on there but clearly someone out there makes them already

Just installed a Corsa sport cat back system - I love it! Had black tips on my 2010 Avy... these are going to need a little extra housekeeping

That was a piece my buddy had for his Silverado that he got rid of so it was a perfect fit. I'll ask if he remembers where he got it. I know he had all the rocker panels done f&r

I'll keep ya posted!

Back