• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

how many cans of paint to do the sails side boxes and the roof tail light part

joelowrider

I want to paint the top parts on my 2010 avalanche but not the 3 covers

I local paint shop can match the paint color put it in a spray can how many cans will this take

Took me almost a quart to do all the upper cladding minus the bed panels. But then again that was before reducing the paint.

I take it you sprayed yours with a paint gun,  my compressor is too small I am stuck using spray cans

Do you suggest any special oil or moisture seperators for painting?

I have a cheapie Harbor Freight air compressor but it is an oil based compressor.

I used 8 cans of Rustoleum to do all of my upper cladding and the bed panels.

One suggestion though. If you are going to go through that trouble you will want to smooth them out... My experience was that it is hard to paint the sail panel interior triangle. You end up getting more in one place than another and the texture will look smoother in the locations the paint is thicker. The third brake light wasn't hard to do and I got it pretty even but the sail panels have spots on them where you can see I concentrated the spray more. With smoothed panels you won't be able to tell when one area has slightly thicker paint than others...

To qualify my experience. I have very little experience as a painter but I generally make things look pretty decent if they don't have any strange curves to them like the sail panels do. I had issues with the saddle bags too but only because I tried to add a little paint when I scratched them putting them back on.

Rodney

Always have an air drier hooked up when painting, mine has a regulator as well and is industrial size.
I did smooth mine out, but to answer the question of puddling in the corners, if your having trouble keeping the gun/can at a consistent distance try hitting the inside first and light, ie a few more coats. Then paint the outer part.

Back