Aluminum Wheel Problems

<< < (2/2)

MyBigToy:
Cast aluminum wheels can leak because they have porosity in them. However, most wheel manufacturers use a loctite-type material to seal the wheels before shipping. The wheels go into a big vacuum chamber, the wheels are immersed into the fluid for a certain amount of time, the vacuum allows the loctite material to be drawn into the porosity, unless it is too large, and the wheel is then sealed when the loctite cures in the absence of air. That said, large porosity can cause a wheel to leak.

Most leaks will seal themselves over time - aluminum oxidation will seal the leak point. It would be the exception rather than the rule if the wheel was leaking.

Hope this helps.
 :)
MBT

gandolphxx:
One of the reasons for the rather plebian forged aluminum wheels on the 2500 is the fact that they are rated to 95 psi - the other of course is 3000 lb load capacity.

If you are going to run "E" rated tires that is important since many "attractive" wheels will not hold 70+ psi.

ygmn:
DO they make forged aluminum wheels in lieu of cast?

the casting process is inherent in have air pockets etc...nbut not forging.......

Oh well this is why I check air pressure every fill up!

gandolphxx:
Quote from: ygmn on 08/08/03 10:03 AM

DO they make forged aluminum wheels in lieu of cast?

the casting process is inherent in have air pockets etc...nbut not forging.......

Oh well this is why I check air pressure every fill up!

Absolutely, but mostly in the 15 - 16 inch range - MickeyThompson, Alcoa and Eagle Alloy all have forged aluminum wheels that will stand up under torture.

The stock 16x6.5's on the Chevy and Ford HD's are all made in Hungary. Forged wheels are not prone to cracking like the cast ones and they are built for weight load, not cosmetics. :4:

ygmn:
Oh yeah ALCOA....I remember them at some shows....they make them big rig wheels.....and touted the weight savings....

DOHHHHHHHH...nevermind

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page