• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Pyle PLCM3550WIR Backup Camera - Hard Wire vs. using Cigarette Power?

dorelse

Quick question.  I have this system installed and it works great running off the power port (cigarette lighter)...so in an effort to do a more permanent installation, I wired in a hidden additional power port (after market cig lighter) and tucked it nicely in the interior fuse panel area. 

Somehow this has changed the behavior of the Monitor in that it now always stays 'On' instead of turning off when not in 'R'.  Previously, everything worked as expected using the factory cig ports.  What's special about the cigarette port power?

Currently I used one of the ATM add a fuse and plugged it into the radio fuse spot...do I really have to wire all the way out to the cigarette fuse in the engine bay?  TIA!

PLCM3550WIR.jpg

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLCM3550WIR/Wireless-Rear-View-Back-up-Camera-and-Monitor-ParkingReverse-Assist-System,-35-Display,-Distance-Scale-Lines,-Night-Vision-Waterproof-Cam,-Swivel-Angle-Adjustable

The only thing I can think of is to double check the polarity on that second lighter you wired in.

MS03 2500 said:
The only thing I can think of is to double check the polarity on that second lighter you wired in.

Yes, I will double check...I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the Radio & Cig lighter (this is on an '02 z66) were controlled by the same cutoff circuitry so it wouldn't really 'have' to be the Cig lighter...I'm going to try a cig extension and just see if it really needs to be that...if so, I'll just stick with that I suppose...

Its just weird...

The power you tied into is always HOT.
find one that only comes on with RUN position.

ygmn said:
The power you tied into is always HOT.
find one that only comes on with RUN position.

Sorry, but can you clarify what you're saying?  To the backup camera system...it doesn't know Run or Hot, it only knows power/no power.  So when the screen get's the signal that the wireless transmitter is now powered (by the truck reverse lights coming on) the screen wakes up and shows the video.  When power is cut from the wireless transmitter, the screen, sensing no signal should go to black...and does this when using the Cig lighter.  Power is always until I open my door after shutting the truck off...

I'm not seeing how being on a Run or Hot circuit would impact that behavior?  FWIW, I've tried both.  The radio, which follows the same behavior as the Cig lighters...powered until I open the door...same as the cig lighter right?

Just trying to understand...

Back