• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2008 with Nav

HI

I got my AV about 2 weeks ago and love everything about it, the Audio is fantastic, but no Bluetooth
I have the bose nav system with the additional controls in the back, and the video screen for the back passengers also.

Now my main question, is there a way to replace the head unit, but keeping all the factory integration, such as rear controls, screen, reversing camera, chimes, ect? I want to keep as much of the original features as possible, appart from the on-star which in the age of mobile phones, I feel is kinda redundant

You state that you think the Audio is fantastic yet you want to replace it???? Why?
To update the navigation you can just buy a newer version of mapping software, and the On-Star is not only is for calls , it notifies authorities if you are in an accident and may be unconscious, it helps you gain access to vehicle if you lock your keys inside, and helps you and the authorities locate your vehicle if stolen. Then you can also get monthly status updates on AV on your home computer or cell phone with On-star.

If you still want to change the head unit you can look at www.crutchfield.com and the service department can help you get the unit of your dreams with all adapters and wiring harnesses to keep all your functions.

Hope you have many happy and safe miles in your AV.

Had GM Navs in the '07 and '13....as I remember it upgrading the '07 added additional functions and appearance as well as updating the maps......seems to be made at least as well if not better than aftermarkets.

Replacing with an aftermarket would likely lose the voice recognition capability and might increase the possibility of theft........they are keyed to operate only in the vehicle bearing the original VIN.....use in another vehicle requires reprogramming by a dealer who can identify a stolen unit.

My Applogies, I don't think I explained my problem correctly, I don't really want to replace the head unit, I really only want to add Bluetooth connectivity, but after visiting local audio shops it appears the only way to add this is through a fm modulator.  So sadly the only alternative is to replace the head unit.  I understand what you mean about the usefulness, and security that on-star gives you, so maybe keeping it would be an option.  so my question is this, has anyone been able to add good quality Bluetooth connectivity to the factory setup??

I had the same exact idea, and I replaced it with the rosen pr-gm1210-us.  I found mine on ebay for about a third of the price they are on amazon.  It adds bluetooth, and the maps are much better than the dvd navigation that is factory.  Nothing changes, and you can still use steering wheel controls and everything else that you had before including the factory camera.  This has been a great stereo for me.  It also streams music through bluetooth as well.

Snyder80 said:
Are you looking for Bluetooth for phone only or for streaming music as well?

X2 Blue tooth phone is easy, streaming music is a different ball game.

I did this with my 08. My opinion is it works great with my cell to stream pandora and Iheart radio all I want.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJMV0GU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I just installed a Pioneer AVH 4000NEX in my 2011.  With a few adapters you will maintain all the factory functionality and gain some more functions.  Really up to you with what all you want the HU to do.  I personally wanted a new HU with the Apple Car Play feature.  I can do everything through Siri now.  Make phone calls, have her read me texts etc....  I can use apple maps or google maps to plan my route etc...  I just finished up the install last night so I am sure there are a TON more features I haven't even used yet.

So would I be correct in assuming the rosen pr-gm1210-us, is just an updated version of the factory head unit, and this keeps all the functionality of the original system, but adding the extras like Bluetooth?
If so this I think would be perfect solution.

BritGuy-in-Avalanche yes you would be correct.  I needed no adapters at all, and all of my steering wheel controls work perfect.

Blue fusion is an interface that gives you bluetooth for the OEM HU. Just sold mine to dcn447 after I sold the AVY. Works great. Plugs in behind the glove box into the XM module. Retains everyyhing you have. No brainer!

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/bluefusion-bluetooth-car-kit-for-select-gm-class-2-vehicles-2000-up

I think the OEM units got bluetooth in 2009, and also USB input. Despite all that my 2011 Avy unit was not all great: being a DVD based navigation it's a bit slow, and also makes weird noises. I mostly used my phone, but the annoying thing as that I could not stream music through bluetooth. I replaced my navigation couple of month ago and I went with an Alpine x-009 GM unit (see pics below). All of the factory features are retained with that unit, the chimes, and you get additional ones as well, I am most happy with good phone integration, and the fact that it fits the dash better then the factory one. Having said all that, it is a pricey unit, there are a few others that offer similar features, and integrate well.

Attachments

• 20150526_183012.jpg
    20150526_183012.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 20150526_183036.jpg
    20150526_183036.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 20150526_183048.jpg
    20150526_183048.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 99
So I have a question. I like the look of Rosen unit I have a 2008 Avalanche and I have the Bose sound with out the NAV or DVD but does have the rear seat audio. Will the Rosen unit work in my situation and allow the addition of a rear view camera that at present time I don't have.

Thanks for any Info you can provide;

awpratt79

WhoAteMySoup said:
I think the OEM units got bluetooth in 2009, and also USB input. Despite all that my 2011 Avy unit was not all great: being a DVD based navigation it's a bit slow, and also makes weird noises. I mostly used my phone, but the annoying thing as that I could not stream music through bluetooth. I replaced my navigation couple of month ago and I went with an Alpine x-009 GM unit (see pics below). All of the factory features are retained with that unit, the chimes, and you get additional ones as well, I am most happy with good phone integration, and the fact that it fits the dash better then the factory one. Having said all that, it is a pricey unit, there are a few others that offer similar features, and integrate well.

yeah at 2500.00 i would definately agree thats a bit pricy

awpratt79:  My truck was exactly the same way.  I had rear seat audio as well, but no nav, dvd, or camera.  I also have bose.  I installed a rear camera with the unit as well, and back seat controls work too.  The Rosen unit really has been great.

beyer1983 said:
yeah at 2500.00 i would definately agree thats a bit pricy

I would wait for a year or so until better Apple/Android Play units come out. They are significantly cheaper then what I have, and should offer a ton of useful features.

WhoAteMySoup said:
I would wait for a year or so until better Apple/Android Play units come out. They are significantly cheaper then what I have, and should offer a ton of useful features.

i nearly spit coffee everywhere when i saw the price tag on that one... yeah im gonna give it a while before i get a new head unit

Back