• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Front skid plate and wth is this crap?

WhoAteMySoup

I was wondering if there are any good replacement for the front plastic "skid plate" that comes stock on our trucks (see below), and also, what the hell are the two triangular things located right behind the front bumper are for?

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 317
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 331
FYI the top picture is not a skid plate it's a engine shield used to direct air thru the radiator.

Second picture I would guess that is for a bull bar

Ah, thanks for the explanation on what I thought the skid plate was. But the bottom picture is definitely not for a bull bar, it's way down there under the bumper. The only reason I can even get there is because I have an aftermarket bumper mounted.

WhoAteMySoup said:
Ah, thanks for the explanation on what I thought the skid plate was. But the bottom picture is definitely not for a bull bar, it's way down there under the bumper. The only reason I can even get there is because I have an aftermarket bumper mounted.

Air deflector......likely works in conjunction with the engine shield to redirect air flow possibly to counter a venturi effect and reduce amount of rain and crap getting sucked into the radiator/engine compartment.

Who is this Venturi you speak of? And is there a part I can replace this cover with? Given that I don't have a front bumper this cover is pretty noticeable from up front, not for everyone, but for like Miata drivers and dogs.

What ever you do, do not remove it. At highway speed air will not be forced thru the radiator, when I had mine off it ran about 25 more degrees hotting.

Pro Comp makes  stainless steel skid plate that will cover it.

Still trying to figure out how a plastic shield that directs air AWAY from the truck is setup to be an air deflector to keep the truck cooler. I noticed no difference when mine was removed. Had to take it off to get to the impact sensor. Looks like a lightweight shield to me to keep stuff out of the engine compartment.

However I would love to hear how it keeps the compartment cool and if they are on 2wd trucks...

Rodney

Yeah, the only Pro Comp part I found that looks like it would cover this piece is a front skid plate below. Unfortunately that skid plate only works for their 6" lift kit, as can be seen from the installation manual.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Armor-Protection/Skid-Plate.aspx?t_c=79&t_s=467&t_pt=3545&t_pn=EXP51101

Rodney it does not deflect air away, it forces air thru the radiator. But the other stuff :dunno:

WhoAteMySoup said:
Yeah, the only Pro Comp part I found that looks like it would cover this piece is a front skid plate below. Unfortunately that skid plate only works for their 6" lift kit, as can be seen from the installation manual.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Armor-Protection/Skid-Plate.aspx?t_c=79&t_s=467&t_pt=3545&t_pn=EXP51101

That why we call it modding. They make a few of them, yeah that 51101 very pretty.

Opps I forgot to add it's Stainless Steel it does not protect anything but it looks good Just like the plastic one.

OK you are right I'm wrong. LOL

I can lead you to water, but I can't make you drink.

MS03 2500 said:
Rodney it does not deflect air away, it forces air thru the radiator. But the other stuff :dunno:

I am honestly asking here.. How does this force anything through the radiator?

it is angled AWAY from the radiator and is actually slightly behind it. If anything it would deflect anything coming under the air dam away from the engine compartment. I just don't see any logical way this can help the radiator with cooling. If it helps to create a low pressure pocket behind the radiator then that could be useful but there are too many places for the air to exit for that to make sense and it would not do it at highway speeds.

I just don't understand how this could have anything to do with the radiator with the angle it has and the location. Just doesn't make sense to me.

It is not like the steel plating under the truck which obviously is there to protect those components but it still is a very sturdy plastic that would keep things like brush and tall weeds from getting into your belts and such. This makes much more sense to me that it is a debris deflector to keep it out of the engine compartment.

And the fact it had 5 very large bolts holding it into place really hit me strange as being an air deflector. I just don't get it and I am seriously questioning it. I guess I would like to know where you heard this is an air deflector? Not trying to be a pain about it. It just does not make any sense to me how it is an air deflector.

Rodney

Is this the part?

SHIELD/ENGINE SPLASH

I found this in a parts list for 2002 Avalanche, part #15049190

Looks to be a splash shield, as far as I can tell.

Same part is on my EXT.

EXT4ME said:
Is this the part?

SHIELD/ENGINE SPLASH

I found this in a parts list for 2002 Avalanche, part #15049190

Looks to be a splash shield, as far as I can tell.

Same part is on my EXT.

Yep, that's it. That's a splash shield, I found one on ebay, for 2007+ trucks (see below), does not sound like it has anything to do with deflecting air... Anyway, I am going to figure out something to replace it with, I guess I can fab something at work out of sheetmetal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-13-Chevy-Silverado-Tahoe-GMC-Sierra-Yukon-Escalade-Lower-Engine-Splash-Shield-/391141586765

Yes that appears to be the piece. Matches up with the location and number of bolts etc.

It is pretty sturdy plastic. Not sure if a full blown metal replacement is necessary. Not to mention on my truck it is attached to the bumper support which means it could affect how the bumper works if you make it too strong...

Also remember you need to remove this piece to service components so make sure you don't make it hard to remove.

Rodney

the 'triangle' thingys are for safety.

in a T-bone type crash where the Avy is the 'attacker', those are designed to grab into the T-boned car's rockers/doorframe and therefore not allow the frame to ride into the rest of the compartment.  At least that is how it was explained to me.

Fish-man said:
the 'triangle' thingys are for safety.

in a T-bone type crash where the Avy is the 'attacker', those are designed to grab into the T-boned car's rockers/doorframe and therefore not allow the frame to ride into the rest of the compartment.  At least that is how it was explained to me.

Very interesting, I had no idea about that... thanks for the explanation.

Yeah well the T-bone things I cut off and removed when I did my bumper build. I said GOOD BYE hahaha. And as far as that skid plate, with my rough country lift I had to remove that shield. I wonder if getting that procomp would on there would even be possible. And if so if I would be able to access the bolts and such without taking the entire front suspension apart just for a skid plate.

As shown here, I have no dumb triangles and no shield.

1412D5A7-C6A9-4748-8994-0B5A152514F0_zpsnwaqizj0.jpg

Those things sticking out the front, they're called "frame compatibility brackets". When you crash into a lower vehicle it's designed to force inertia of the truck downward so you don't drive up and over. They exist at the front and rear of the frame, but the rear is designed differently. I think GM started adding them on the 2007+ models as a new safety feature. Not the end of the world if they were to be removed.

ca2kjet said:
Not the end of the world if they were to be removed.

Could be the end of somebody's world if you ride over the top of them and crush their greenhouse, as well as them, in a collision.  Might be the end of your world too if a good lawyer gets a hold of you after the thorough investigation that always ensues whenever there is a fatality.

CoveredAV said:
Could be the end of somebody's world if you ride over the top of them and crush their greenhouse, as well as them, in a collision.  Might be the end of your world too if a good lawyer gets a hold of you after the thorough investigation that always ensues whenever there is a fatality.
Very good point, but given that both me and 09chevyavy already rock offroad metal bumpers that generally don't deform during a crash (mine don't, I checked  :rolleyes: ), I highly doubt these "hooks" serve a purpose any longer. But yeah, in your scenario it would still make it a hard case to argue.

CoveredAV said:

I was merely implying that at this time, I'm not aware of it being a mandated safety feature. As long as your vehicle meets all legal requirements, then there's no ground to stand on. The way you responded was as if suddenly all vehicle modification should be made illegal. Guess in your world there shouldn't be any snowplow packages...

Back