• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear bumper upgrades for my '07 AV..... Silverado bumper fit?

blu_fuz

I'm planning my future hitch upgrade along with moving the trailer connector through the bumper. I was going to follow suit and drill the hole for the trailer hook up and install plug there, which is common practice here.

After tossing around ideas, I remembered someone asked if the 2014-2015 Silverado/Sierra rear bumper would fit our trucks here: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,142736.0.html
^the thread got a little off track and turned into a hitch step picture sharing session.

Could this really be a simple bolt on rear bumper? The benefit to trying this is the 14-15 GM truck rear bumpers have parking sensor holes so I can transfer my original ones, trailer connector already through the bumper so I don't have to drill my old bumper, AND has the bumper steps again like the old AVs. I would also paint the chrome body color to give it a more original look.

Did anyone bite the bullet and try to fit the newer bumper on the 07-13 AV?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I wanted to a while back, but then I just built my own custom bumper from steel tubing and plate. Much stronger. I built in steps as well and have LED cube lights as backup lights.

I want it to look totally stock, that is the end goal of this mod and to have the options already installed.

Yeah I understand. A while back I was going to try to be able to test drive a 2014+ silverado for the weekend and take the bumper off and see if it would fit on there. Then just reinstall it and order it all later if it did. If it didnt then it didnt. I would still have probably done it, just modified it and made custom brackets or something. In the end I decided I wanted overall protection. So I built my own bumper.

Any progress on this?  I am looking for a different (not plastic) rear bumper

Tag....... my brother had a new Chevy work truck, doubt that I can get him to swap but it does had a built in step like the cladded AV's have! Interested to see if it would fit.......

Just ask him to allow you to test fit it. That was he gets his back and you get to see if they fit. That way you can be on the look out for one and you know it fits

I was trying to ask around at the local road/cable companies that remove the boxes/bumpers from the new trucks and install work boxes/bumpers. No dice.

I'm sure it will work, but the question is how much do you need to change/adapt the newer brackets to hang on our frame........

wyotonka said:
Then you could make a '15 Tahoe front clip work and have one heck of a unique av  (y)

ive actually thought about doing that... and modifying the rear end to the new rear as well

beyer1983 said:
ive actually thought about doing that... and modifying the rear end to the new rear as well
I've been dying to see someone do it with either a new body style or old body style. Nobody that I have seen has made the leap. I think a person could still pull it off with a cladded and an offroad bumper.

wyotonka said:
I've been dying to see someone do it with either a new body style or old body style. Nobody that I have seen has made the leap. I think a person could still pull it off with a cladded and an offroad bumper.

once i win the lottery i will let you know how it goes  :laugh:

My GF has a 2013 and just recently had the bumper replaced. She was told by the dealer that 2014 was first year of the bumper with the steps and the mounting brackets are totally different so new brackets need to be made.

She ended up with a replacement 2013 bumper. She loved the steps in my bumper and wanted them for her silverado...

Rodney

But if brackets were made, it would be possible. Hmmm. I bet so many people want the 2014 bumpers even silverado guys. If someone could make brackets and mass produce them they would make so much money.  :cool:

09chevyavy said:
But if brackets were made, it would be possible. Hmmm. I bet so many people want the 2014 bumpers even silverado guys. If someone could make brackets and mass produce them they would make so much money.  :cool:

Gals... My GF is a GAL... Just sayin...

Rodney

I just took a look at the 2014 Silverado Chromed Rear Bumper...I like it!  I want to put some chrome on my 08 LT (door handles and side-view mirror caps) and the rear bumper would fit right in...with the corresponding hardware.

Back