• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Subwoofers and sub-boxes

Skulcrushr8

I am in the search for 2 subs for my 2003 Avalanche I don't want to spend a thousand dollars on a ridiculous setup just. A decent set up and easy enough for me and my dad to install. My dad is an auto mechanic so their isn't a problem with tools or knowledge how to do something. I was wondering if somebody knew a good brand or cheap way to do this? Some people put them right to the fold down wall behind the back seats while others have a sub box that fits under the folding back seats? Which is better? I'm looking for 12" subs and in search of the whole setup. Any other clarification or answers Will be much appreciated thanks!!!

If you want 12s and you want it to sound good you are going to need a midgate replacement box.  I got mine off ebay with 4 kicker 10s in it for $350 and it was a 3 hour drive.  Totally worth it though.  AK audio makes midgate sub boxes for almost any sub configuration you want.  There are some underseat sub boxes you will find on ebay preloaded with subs but most if not all are way too small for the subs they stuff in them which means it won't sound very good.  I had 2 10s in a box like this in my old avalanche and it sounded okay.  Unfortunately when it comes to car audio if you want it to sound good you have to spend some dollars.  If you can find a deal on a box you can 100% find some subs on your local CL for a good price.  I started with the $350 sub box and next thing you know I have easily spent over 1k on my stereo.

Back