• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Removing auto-ride shocks and auto level

WhoAteMySoup

My Avy is getting close to 80K miles now and I am starting to wonder about how long the autoride shocks last. I also want to lift my truck a bit, and there are very few options for autoride equipped vehicles. So what is all that is involved with removing the autoride system? Is there anyone here that has done this? Was they any noticeable negative impact to the ride?

I know the system consists of leveling sensors in the front and rear, shocks, and I am guessing a compressor in the back. Do all of these come out?

09chevyavy said:
I mean they have to be able to come out somewhat. How else would you be able to replace them if they fail.
Sorry, I never asked the question correctly. I am wondering if the autoleveling feature will be lost.

I mean if you took the complete auto leveling system off with different shocks, then yes you would. If the shocks arent equipped to do it, you wont have it.

The air compressor for the rear air shocks is mounted on the outer frame rail right behind the driver's side rear tire.

It is easy to see by looking into the wheel well at that location.

It may be important to note that each of the shocks, front and rear, have an electrical connection that communicates to the truck's computer system.

If you replace those shocks with regular old shocks, then you will start getting errors in the DIC asking for you to service the suspension system.

Some aftermarket replacement shocks take that into account and provide a means to fool the computer into thinking the correct shocks are installed and functioning properly.

My Arnott brand replacement shocks came with a plug in module at each shock location that provided the expected value for the computer to read so that the system is satisfied and does not send an error message.

I have not seen where anyone sells just those types of modules, but I suppose anything is possible.

I have also seen where some truck owners created their own hacks, usually involving a resistor of the correct value expected my the computer, to fool the system and prevent the errors.

But just yanking out the shocks and replacing them with regular shocks is almost certainly going to present you will an error every time you drive your truck.

I am not certain the air compressor is monitored, but it is certainly connected electrically to the system.

Just a heads up as you plan your next move.

For $400 you should just buy the OEM shocks and use the system as it was designed. I love the autoride. Whenever I ride in someone elses truck it just makes me sick how everyone is just used to the bumpy ride of an empty truck. Yuck.

Back