• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

My truck took a dip this weekend :) (plasti dip)

Chaos67731

Just wanted to share some pictures of my AV.  I went all mat black and even dipped the cladding.

---

Before
before1.jpg

After
done1.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

WhoAteMySoup said:
Nice, how long do you expect plasti dip to last?

I am not really sure, it was my first go at it. . . so I plan on redoing it at some point in the next month or two but if it gets to cold before I get around to redoing it I might let it stay on for the winter (as if it gets cold in Vegas lol). 

But I have heard people say it can last longer than a year.

WhoAteMySoup said:
Nice, how long do you expect plasti dip to last?
Mine has been on for 2 years this month and I don't have any major issues. it's damaged on the front bumper where I hit a bird,and it tightened up and pulled away a tiny bit in the groove around the tow hooks, but thats about it.
The backs of the door handles have significant wear, but nothing major. I have had to respray the rear bumper, but that is only because someone rear ended me.
There are a few rock chips in it, but they would be there regardless of weather it was plasti-dipped or not. I'm planning to run it for at least another winter. Thinking if is gets torn up this winter of stripping it and changing the color in the spring.

Chaos67731 said:
Just wanted to share some pictures of my AV.  I went all mat black and even dipped the cladding.

What sprayer and tip did you use?. did you use any thinner? I used the Earlex 5500, but couldn't get even coats with the 2.0 mil tip, tried the 1.5 mil tip and was getting blocked. Found using the 1.5 with 14 oz. of thinner per gallon worked the best for me.

The variation in color you see is shadowing from the tree overhead, it's actually uniform in person

Attachments

• 4-8-14.77.jpg
    4-8-14.77.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 303
Calicak89 said:
What sprayer and tip did you use?. did you use any thinner? I used the Earlex 5500, but couldn't get even coats with the 2.0 mil tip, tried the 1.5 mil tip and was getting blocked. Found using the 1.5 with 14 oz. of thinner per gallon worked the best for me.

I started with a 50/50 mix of thinner and dip, for the first two gallons but on the second two gallons I added just a little more dip.  I would say after having a 50/50 mix I added an extra 28 oz of dip to it, just to get it a little thicker.

I used this spray gun. Sorry , I dont know the size of the tip that was in the box.

Flexio 570 HVLP Paint Sprayer

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-Flexio-570-HVLP-Paint-Sprayer-0529011/204109763

To get a good coat, there are three setting you can change on gun.

Pain flow: low as could go
Air Flow : high
How wide of an area pain sprays: wide

After messing aground , this is what I found worked really good to get a thin coat on.

Also for a side note to anyone going to do this.  After doing the back half of my truck, I found it was a little hard to get in to some of the cracks and lines in my truck. So I took a few spray cans of plasti dip and painted all the seems and door handles.  I went over them a good two or three times.  This made it a lot easier to get in the lines where the cladding meets the truck or around the front grill.

-----

Also to anyone going to do this.  tapping off the windows seems like a good idea , unless you are going to get a good amount of dip on it. However, there seems to be no reason to spend time covering your lights.  I spent less time just pealing plasti dip off my front light than I did tapping my back ones.

Back