Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My truck took a dip this weekend :) (plasti dip)  (Read 4372 times)

Chaos67731

Just wanted to share some pictures of my AV.  I went all mat black and even dipped the cladding.

---

Before

After

Bruizza

• Charge Harder
Re: My truck took a dip this weekend :) (plasti dip)
« Reply #1 on: 08/30/15 08:48 PM »

Looks really good!
Current: 2011 LTZ 4WD black on black with 26" Black with machine face Dub skillZ wheel.  Black grille.  Spectre CAI, Gibson Shorty Headers, Gibson catback exhaust, belltech 2/3 drop, Matte Metallic Dark Grey wrap with orange logos, Black Brushed Steel wrapped interior pieces, 4 kicker comp r 10s in a midgate box, ppi 7000.1 amp, Pioneer 4000nex HU, JL audio components/door speakers, tint, LEDs

Sold 05 Z-71, Spectre CAI, 2 10s under the back seat, DVD HU, Xbox 360, 24" Big Papi rims

Arvada CO

WhoAteMySoup

« Reply #2 on: 08/30/15 11:42 PM »

Nice, how long do you expect plasti dip to last?
2011 Black Avalanche LTZ.
6" Fabtech Lift, Trail Ready Front bumper, 2.25" leveling kit by Ready Lift, Corsa Touring exhaust, K&N air intake, KMC XD Bully wheels in 285/70/17 Toyo ATs, full tune with AFM/DOD delete. Alpine X-009GM with front camera for no good reason.

Chaos67731

« Reply #3 on: 08/31/15 12:01 AM »

I am not really sure, it was my first go at it. . . so I plan on redoing it at some point in the next month or two but if it gets to cold before I get around to redoing it I might let it stay on for the winter (as if it gets cold in Vegas lol). 

But I have heard people say it can last longer than a year.

Calicak89

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: 09/01/15 12:31 PM »

Mine has been on for 2 years this month and I don't have any major issues. it's damaged on the front bumper where I hit a bird,and it tightened up and pulled away a tiny bit in the groove around the tow hooks, but thats about it.
The backs of the door handles have significant wear, but nothing major. I have had to respray the rear bumper, but that is only because someone rear ended me.
There are a few rock chips in it, but they would be there regardless of weather it was plasti-dipped or not. I'm planning to run it for at least another winter. Thinking if is gets torn up this winter of stripping it and changing the color in the spring.

Just wanted to share some pictures of my AV.  I went all mat black and even dipped the cladding.

What sprayer and tip did you use?. did you use any thinner? I used the Earlex 5500, but couldn't get even coats with the 2.0 mil tip, tried the 1.5 mil tip and was getting blocked. Found using the 1.5 with 14 oz. of thinner per gallon worked the best for me.

The variation in color you see is shadowing from the tree overhead, it's actually uniform in person
2013 Black LT
Many mods to come
2008 Judson Green LT
Way too many mods to list here
2005 Silver Birch Metallic (former)

Chaos67731

« Reply #5 on: 09/03/15 07:59 AM »

What sprayer and tip did you use?. did you use any thinner? I used the Earlex 5500, but couldn't get even coats with the 2.0 mil tip, tried the 1.5 mil tip and was getting blocked. Found using the 1.5 with 14 oz. of thinner per gallon worked the best for me.

I started with a 50/50 mix of thinner and dip, for the first two gallons but on the second two gallons I added just a little more dip.  I would say after having a 50/50 mix I added an extra 28 oz of dip to it, just to get it a little thicker.

I used this spray gun. Sorry , I dont know the size of the tip that was in the box.

Flexio 570 HVLP Paint Sprayer

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-Flexio-570-HVLP-Paint-Sprayer-0529011/204109763

To get a good coat, there are three setting you can change on gun.

Pain flow: low as could go
Air Flow : high
How wide of an area pain sprays: wide

After messing aground , this is what I found worked really good to get a thin coat on.

Also for a side note to anyone going to do this.  After doing the back half of my truck, I found it was a little hard to get in to some of the cracks and lines in my truck. So I took a few spray cans of plasti dip and painted all the seems and door handles.  I went over them a good two or three times.  This made it a lot easier to get in the lines where the cladding meets the truck or around the front grill.

-----

Also to anyone going to do this.  tapping off the windows seems like a good idea , unless you are going to get a good amount of dip on it. However, there seems to be no reason to spend time covering your lights.  I spent less time just pealing plasti dip off my front light than I did tapping my back ones.

« Last Edit: 09/03/15 08:26 AM by Chaos67731 »

chevyway

« Reply #6 on: 01/15/16 02:23 AM »

It looks great!

southwest74

« Reply #7 on: 02/09/16 10:51 PM »

Plasti-dip does really hold p well i see

tipman14

« Reply #8 on: 08/04/16 06:47 AM »

looks awesome  :thumbsup: I would do something with the center caps tho. just my $0.02
04 Chevy Avalanche
00 Chevy S10 xtreme

Dluvr22

• CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member
« Reply #9 on: 09/14/16 08:08 AM »

A year old post and I'm just seeing it. So there is indeed more than a rumored Deception to my Autobot.

« Last Edit: 09/14/16 08:12 AM by Dluvr22 »
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
Computer installed in vehicle. Rancho 9000 with MyRide controller. Krylon fusion on cladding. K&N intake. Dual battery mod to be completed soon............
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,124979.0.html

f2Da_T

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #10 on: 03/13/18 07:29 PM »

:thumbs:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 24 queries.