• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Stranded in Tysons, NEED HELP

X_Indian

Hey guys, my tire went flat & the jack won't lift my Av up enough so I can change it!!! Can anyone local help please?

I'm in Tysons. 8280 Greensboro Dr.

John 301-312-1222

The bottle jack poops out before the flat tire lifts off the ground. I'm stock height (no lift).  And I'm jacking from the axle tube.

I knew I shouldn't have let my father in law borrow my high lift jack.

well...  just fyi for next time (and yes I've had 2 flats... lol)

If you are stock, then obviously the jack is bad.  one of the stages is probably jammed, i think there are 3 or 4 concentric pieces that expand.  I'd get a new one.  They dont have much height but they are designed to work on the 4 jack spots shown in the book and the FLAT jack lift areas you can see if you look for them under your truck.  I can't remember if those areas are lower or higher than the axle off-hand. take a look at this.   

I once had aaa and called them out because i couldnt drop my spare.  turns out aaa didn't know how to do it either once they got there.    Ended up I didn't have the FEMALE end at the end because I assembled the whole tool...  luckily I was at a boat ramp and somebody passing thru happened to know what we were doing wrong lol...
Make sure and check on your winch periodically too, the ones with the secondary latch are problematic.

The bottle jack won't lift high enough if you put it under the axle.  From memory when having to jack up Big Red with slightly larger than stock tires I had to put it under the bracket for the lower control arm which extends down from the axle.

My truck is on 33's so when I leave town I take the floor jack with me, I would hate to be on the side of the road with that sketchy little bottle jack  (n)

wyotonka said:
My truck is on 33's so when I leave town I take the floor jack with me, I would hate to be on the side of the road with that sketchy little bottle jack  (n)
I second that, a floor jack is a nice upgrade from that little ball jack, more stable and better height; Well that and an Impact gun, can make short work of fixing a flat.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm looking for a better jack solution, going to shoot for a new small light floor jack. Mine is way to big & heavy to lug around constantly. And the bottle jack in my truck was not the stock one. It's in the garbage.

Somehow I lucked out and my secondary latch on the spare works exactly as it should have. I'll be replacing the winch or removing the 2nd latch before the spare goes back under, no point in risking it not releasing next time I need it.

This whole event could have been avoided if I tested changing a spare in my driveway. Just like practicing anything making sure it works when needed. Unfortunately for me I had just left a job interview and was in dress clothes. Oh well, it's over & I learned from it.

Back