• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Infotainment System seems outdated...looking for suggestions

Jmcameron001

OK, 2 years ago I upgraded my 2010 LT Avalanche to a 2013 LTZ.  I thought the navigation and touchscreen would be phenomenal.  I soon learned that it feels like GM was slightly behind the times in the design of the touchscreen system and the navigation leaves A LOT to be desired.  I end up using Google maps more than my expensive "navigation system."  That being said, my husband just purchased a 2015 Silverado with the Chevy MyLink and they seem to have come leaps and bounds with their technology.  First question, does anyone know if the MyLink system can be installed in the Avalanche?  Second question, does anyone have recommendations for an upgrade to the current setup in my avalanche?  Thanks for your help in advance!

Interesting idea to change to a MyLink setup in an older AV. I have not read of anyone trying that mod yet since the Mylink is so new. I would imagine the electrical tie-in would be complicated and possibly expensive compared to aftermarket head units.
You might want to contact www.crutchfield.com and talk to their customer service about the features you want in your AV and they can get the head unit and all wiring adapters you need so you don't loose steering wheel controls or other stock features you may like...

I'll look around, but no promises. I'm pretty sure that stuff goes through the ON Star module

Having talked to a GM engineer recently I would have to say with 90% certainty that the Mylink is tied into the system and would require somewhat major re-engineering of your truck to get it to work. Unless someone makes a retrofit setup it is not likely.

GM now has a phone app you can use to check on stuff on your truck but requires Onstar and as I understand the Mylink stuff is part of that over all system.

Your best bet is to get an aftermarket unit...

After looking I could not find anything for a GM truck, but they are wiring kits for Camaros.

OnStar says it's working on it(don't hold your breathe on that). I do not think there would be a enough of a market for it.

MS03 2500 said:
After looking I could not find anything for a GM truck, but they are wiring kits for Camaros.

OnStar says it's working on it(don't hold your breathe on that). I do not think there would be a enough of a market for it.

There's a shop installing mylink in cameros as old as 2010, so no doubt it could be done in our Av's it's just a matter of someone wanting to put the time in to figure it out.  It's nearly a 2k install in the camero though, so if that's any indication.

Yeah, the technology is changing so fast that once you put it in it's outdated and something new is out. I see GM is bring out a Android Headunit in 2016.

I just got rid of the factory Nav in my 2011 and put in a Pioneer AVH 4000NEX with Apple Car Play.  It is light years better than the factory nav.  You can use google maps or apple maps.  You can have siri call or text anyone while driving etc....  I got the HU for $350 on ebay and with all the adapters and what not I have probably $500 in it. 

There's something about having a factory system that just seems a little more.. I don't even know what the word is, but anyway, I'd prefer to upgrade to mylink then go aftermarket if I could 

I would wait until the 2016s come out, sometimes folks who insist on the aftermarket and the dealer will pull it out. There lost my gain with a wiring diagram and the knowledge how the system works with Onstar. (y)

Back