• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Will vinyl wrap work well on cladding?

Lvrboy

As the topic says. I have been contemplating ways to get my 2002 avy's cladding darker. Painting is very time consuming and expensive, gatorback/plasti dip etc are not long term fixes. Has anyone tried a vinyl vehicle wrap over top of their cladding without sanding it smooth?

Cheers

I don't know how much plastics have changed over the years but several members used wraps on the cladding with various results. One in Virginia (back around 2005 or so) had a dark green AV with camo wrap on the upper and lower cladding and it looked great for a couple of years but slowly started peeling off on the edges. You could see the texture underneath but since it was camo it didn't show up from a distance and they also had matching camo seat covers etc. to carry an outdoorsman theme.

I wrapped my tonneaus last summer and it looked great and held up fine til I dropped my roof tent on one and split the vinyl.  :E: I think I'm going to look into painting it to match now because I did like the Yellow in the middle of all the black. when I removed the vinyl It was pretty cold out and it tore off in pieces and didn't seem very attached anymore.

Back