• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best cladding treatment product/process

imaniguana

Charter Member
SM 2004
SM 2003
I have read a bunch of old threads about ArmorThane, Gatorback, TS-1, Refinish Restorer, etc.  After all these years of testing and trial error, which product/process stands up to long-term wear with the best lasting results?

Sanding and painting them, did mine in 2008 and have not had a problem yet.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,147649.0/topicseen.html

You will need to re-do Refinish Restorer about once a year.

IMHO, commercial bedliner material is the most effective and longest lasting treatment. Like everything else, the preparation process is in large part the most important step. You should plan to remove all of the cladding in order to do the job properly. IF I was going to do something permanent, that is exactly what I would do. Fowlhunter put Armorthane on his cladding probably 4 or 5 years ago and it has held up very well, except where the installer didn't put a heavy enough coating of bedliner.

I painted mine with rustoleum... It has been on since around the end of June and still has no flakes or scratches and is still a deep black.

wyotonka said:
I scrubbed all my cladding and followed up with a red scotch brite and liquid deglosser
245197new.jpg

Liquid_Deglosser.jpg

Overall it took me about 3 days, I didn't take my plastics off because I didn't want to deal with the clips. I havent done anything with the tonneaus still but I'm not 100% what I want to do to them yet.

Yellow rig looks incredible. I'll do my black rig as soon as the weather dries up.

Has anyone tried Eastwood's Plastic Resurfacer???

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-plastic-resurfacer-matte-black-aerosol.html?SRCCODE=1EM4599&trk_msg=GUKNURA4NKL4DBRFIUM9LGQ9VS&trk_contact=EQNNBT2SCD91BL3PA3LGL6GK20&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Plastic+Resurfacer&utm_campaign=1EM4599&utm_content=1EM4599

Eastwood has very good products I would not hesitate to use it if they had a it in grey.

4.9 Stars and the first review is a guy with a 2005 Avalanche

I've got some RR on the way to my house now to work on my plastics - so hopefully it works as great as everyone says it does!

As I've been reading and researching different techniques and ideas about restoring the black plastics of the Avalanche, I noticed a good many people using a HEAT GUN.  Something about that idea doesn't set too well with me - maybe it's just my tedious nature and thinking that vast amounts of heat can't be good for plastic.  However - I recently purchased a STEAM CLEANER, and began to wonder if anyone has tried to use one for plastic restoration?!?

Anyone that has any information or advice - let me know!

wyotonka said:
I painted mine with rustoleum... It has been on since around the end of June and still has no flakes or scratches and is still a deep black.
I used the Rustoleum paint on a Picnic table and has held up good for a year now, it was one I bought at Sams 4 or 5 years ago. Went with a "Husker Red",ha

ATLAvalanche said:
I've got some RR on the way to my house now to work on my plastics - so hopefully it works as great as everyone says it does!

As I've been reading and researching different techniques and ideas about restoring the black plastics of the Avalanche, I noticed a good many people using a HEAT GUN.  Something about that idea doesn't set too well with me - maybe it's just my tedious nature and thinking that vast amounts of heat can't be good for plastic.  However - I recently purchased a STEAM CLEANER, and began to wonder if anyone has tried to use one for plastic restoration?!?

Anyone that has any information or advice - let me know!
Don't use the heat or steam on it. The RR aside from painting it is the best you can do.

Back