• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2004 console to jump seat swap

HungryHolly

I looking to swap out my console for a jump seat. From what I've found there isn't an Avalanche leather jump seat option. Is there  another option, like a Silverado?does anyone have one they'd like to trade?

I have an '04 AV and build Chevy/GMC trucks. I believe you need more than just the center seat to replace the console. btw-it's also called a 20% seat as that how much space it takes up.

You likely need something to block the HVAC (heating/air conditioning/ventilation) system that runs thru the console. Multiple choices on what you fill the lower space the center console takes up where it connects to the dash.

You are spot on though, I'd look at local junkyards for a wrecked Silverado/Sierra with a bench seat. You might get lucky. Allow me to correct myself - Suburban/Yukon/Escalade parts should work too  :B:

Just a reminder, if you have a full console you probably have the Bose speakers system. The bose system uses a amplifier that is in the console and has a big wire harness you will have to relocate.

MS03 2500 said:
Just a reminder, if you have a full console you probably have the Bose speakers system. The bose system uses a amplifier that is in the console and has a big wire harness you will have to relocate.

Thanks MS03, I have the Bose with rear entertainment center plus DVD. I never use it so forget about it as I have no intentions of removing the console for a bench seat. The console/seat swap is easy, it's those HVAC/Bose systems that run thru it that make it more complicated.

mines an 06 and this is what it looks like after i took the console out.
now im just wondering what im going to do with all the wiring.
is it possible to just take the amp out?

Attachments

• IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 151
  • av.jpg
    av.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 149
It's not that easy to bypass the amp and rear seat audio, but you could do it.

Your audio from all speakers will be real low.

You can jumper the RSA system relatively easy... 4 wires going in are the same color as the 4 wires coming out and they are all twisted so it makes it easy...  I did this in my '03 because I thought the RSA was dead causing my rear channels to not work. (The rear channels from your deck go through the RSA before they reach the amplifier. The RSA uses those rear channels from the deck to provide the audio it makes available for head sets.)

There is a subwoofer in the console as well...

There are 4 channels coming from the radio to the amplifer and 6 coming out of it. From what I could tell it didn't look like the amplifier has any cross overs in it and GM expects the speakers to filter out what they can't do. (Except the tweeters which have a capacitor on them to block bass.)

If you are adding an aftermarket amplifier while doing this swap then you can do the amp bypass at the deck with an aftermarket harness and basically remove the console harness. I have NOT tried to remove the console harness but I have to believe a portion of it goes to the back of the deck and other portions go other places. You might be better served finding a donar non-bose system and grab the harnesses and such from them.

Another option might be to build your own seat and integrate the amplifier and subwoofer into them... Then it would be reasonably simple to run the wiring under the carpet. And depending on how an add on seat might fit you might be able to install the amplifier and subwoofer under the seat somehow.

I relocated mine under the passenger seat. It BARELY fit, required some removal of ductwork and was in conflict with the front seat.  (I installed a PC where the amplifier normally sits.) I have since gone to an under seat speaker box (Which has not worked very well from day 1) and a sub amplifier (Temporarily mounted to the back of the seat.) This allowed me to take the BOSE subwoofer and remove it from the system. I then cut up the speaker housing and now house the BOSE amplifer inside the subwoofer housing. Works decently and leaves lots of room for expansion stuff when I get to them.  I will be replacing all my amplifiers with some aftermarket ones which will allow me to completly get rid of the amplifer and subwoofer from BOSE but I am still tying into the harness under the console for now...

Ok, I went off on a tangent there but you can see it is not just a simple unbolting and replace.

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
Ok, I went off on a tangent there but you can see it is not just a simple unbolt and replace.

I think you nailed it for anyone considering actually doing the modification.

It is a simple unbolt/replace if you compromise systems that run thru the console.

So what I plan on doing is putting a sub box that's almost seat level. I use to have an 04 Avalanche so I still have the seat console thing that I will bolt on to the box as well. When it's all done I will take pictures. For now I will tuck the wires inside the dash somewhere. We'll see how it turns out.

I like your idea santonio, if you plan on using the amp give it plenty on room that's why it has cooling fins.

In Michigan I only use the AC a couple months out of the year but I like to point the rear vent on my console at my right armpit. I'd consider all the stupid little things like that if I did a swap.

You guys have posted some good information on problems/solutions to this type of mod.

heres my progress

Attachments

• IMG_3936.JPG
    IMG_3936.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3937.JPG
    IMG_3937.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3939.JPG
    IMG_3939.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 80
still need to put the back rest/console on the box