• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

After Market Transmisison Temp Guage

Easiest way to do it is with one of the tuners that comes with a display that can show various parameters and have it display tranny temp - the PCM is already getting the temp you just need a way to pull the data from it through the OBD II port and display it.

Harder way is to mount a separate temperature sensor into the tranny and run the signal wire into the cab to a gauge you'd have to mount.

I have an 04 and installed a dual pillar pod on the driver's side pillar and installed a GlowShift trans temp gauge.  It was very easy to install...took maybe 20 minutes and that was mainly spent running the wire.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/transmission-temperature-gauges.aspx

With

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMETER-00-06-GMC-CHEVY-DURAMAX-DUAL-PILLAR-GAUGE-POD-WITH-SPEAKER-/191075421337

Or go buy a 2500 cluster from same year with temp gage and install.
Temp gage will work soon as you start it up.

Many threads on this in MODS INTERIOR section frmo way back as it was a popular mod.

If I were to buy an updated face, and then solder in a stepper motor into the empty space on the computer board where the gauge would be on the 2500?  Would it be plug and play that way as well or would the board have to be reprogrammed?

stevensmith2859 said:
If I were to buy an updated face, and then solder in a stepper motor into the empty space on the computer board where the gauge would be on the 2500?  Would it be plug and play that way as well or would the board have to be reprogrammed?
No idea if cluster board without gage is setup for the gage.

And if it did need to be programmed then it would be simpler to just get complete new cluster and have mileage programmed to match old one or just add the sticker to the door stating mileage when changed

I don't remember anyone that soldered a stepper motor that worked without programming it.

For price of programming you may as well replace the cluster.

Thanks All,  I found some reman units from Dorman through summit that are under 200 bucks after the core is returned.  I replaced two of the stepper motors myself, but It just hasn't been right, and it annoys me that the PRND321 is burned out, or not lighting. 

Back