• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Range AFM disable battery drain?

Snyder80

Hey all. I did some searching and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I apologize if it's been covered before.

I just hooked a Range AFM Disable up to my parents 07 Suburban that was starting to show oil consumption at 45k miles. While looking at the package it said some vehicles will experience battery drain issues if the module stays plugged in and it isn't driven for a few days.

It won't be an issue in the winter but it sometimes goes a week or more in the summer without being driven.

Does anyone have a Range unit in use that lets their Avy sit for long periods? Let me know your experience please

I have one in my 2011 LTZ with going on 3.5 years with no problems but it is driven everyday. It unit seems to power down when the vehicle is off. This is the first of hearing such possibility of pulling power while off...

I would have thought the system would not draw power with the engine off, but according to their website it does. It goes into light sleep mode every 7 15 seconds to check to see if the motor is running, which is kind of dumb.

https://rangetechnology.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Good information, never realized it has a small draw while the vehicle is off! That should help Snyder80  (y)

Wow after reading the link MS03 2500 posted I seen the draw. But it is less then what the alarm system would pull. So it should be good to sit for a while.

It's a very minor drain, but if the battery is marginal letting it sit for 2 weeks to a month it may kill it.  So I guess it's just a disclaimer. so they don't get hit with people wanting it get new batteries because of it.

Thanks everyone! The battery is brand new so they will just keep an eye on it. Responses like this are why I love this forum!!

When you asked the question I was really curious about the question. So I'm glad you asked so we all know.

Back