• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Check Engine Light on, code P0442

jrmcgove

I have an 02 Av and my CEL came on yesterday.  I checked the code today and it was P0442.  Looked it up on the code readers website and it is described as, "EVAP System Small Leak (0.040") dectected".

I haven't dug into it yet, did a search on here for P0442 and only got one unhelpful result.  I'm hoping just a bad vacuum line somewhere but, thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions on where to start looking or if it may be more than a vacuum leak.  I was really hoping for something simple like an O2 sensor :)

Thanks in advance!

That code is hard to figure out it could be a lot of things including the gas cap. Here is some ideas from the manual.

Attachments

• p0442.GIF
    p0442.GIF
    15.8 KB · Views: 138
Here's some more stuff

(1) EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid
(2) EVAP Canister
(3) Fuel Fill Neck/Fill Cap
(4) Rollover Valve/Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor
(5) Fuel Tank
(6) EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid
(7) Vent Hose/Pipe
(8 ) EVAP Vapor Pipe
(9  ) EVAP Purge Pipe
(10) EVAP Service Port

Attachments

• 02evap.png
    02evap.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 119
i have code P0442 a small EVAP leak and P0455 a EVAP large leak together  on my 2005 avalanche. car drives well but i only have 131K miles on the truck. I will keep you all posted on my problems, if i can find the problem.  i originally went to Canadian Tire on Dundas st. in Mississauga to ask how much to scan the ECM and find the codes and i was quoted $50 to find the P0442/5 and $100 to show a EVAP result + tax for a TOTAL of $170. i bought my own innova 3100i code reader  the OBD2 reader instead. the reader is excellent, and  its on sale this week for $99.i hate being ripped off like this. someone said Midas will read the code for $20. A friend in Ohio said the local garages there will scan for nothing just to get the business. i would appreciate any input on this problem, cheers jim    :help:

I haven't done any investigating on my EVAP system yet.  I ended up having to pull my front diff and get that rebuilt so CEL fell to the wayside temporarily.  Anyway long story short I had diff rebuilt at a local shop and after I installed it wouldn't lock in.  Took it in to them to check for FWD codes (don't think those show up on OBD2 reader).  They didn't find anything but, cleared the P0442 code again and it hasn't come back yet.  Crossing my fingers it was just the gas cap.

I did talk to them about the issue and they said they could do a smoke test to find the leak for only $80.  I feel that may be worth me not having to spend hours tracking to down a small leak and replacing parts that may not be a problem.

I've never been to this shop since I rarely pay anybody to work on my vehicles, but I must say I'm pretty impressed.  They charged me only $60 for about an hour of trouble shooting and a used wire harness for the actuator on the front diff.  Wires were corroded and coming out of the plug.

Back