• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Help with speaker install in 2004 Avy

TonyAngel

Hey guys, I'm looking for some info.  I've searched, but can't seem to find the information that I'm looking for.

From information that I've gathered, 6.5's will fit, but with an adapter.  6.75's will fit, but will require drilling new holes and will put the speakers flush with the door.

From pics I've seen, it looks to me like the stock speaker brackets are pretty thick.  I'd imagine that this is so that the speakers are closer to the holes in the door panels.  Again, from pics, it appears that the adapter brackets used to mount 6.5" speakers aren't as thick or robust as the stock adapters.  I'd like to go with the 6.75's just because they are a bit bigger and bigger is better (right?).  On the other hand, I don't want the speakers flush to the door where most of the sounds waves are bouncing around between the door and door panel because of the speakers being so recessed.  The same goes with using 6.5's and adapters, so...

My question is, has anyone been able to successfully use the stock adapter to install 6.5's in the doors putting the new speakers where the stock ones are, which is right at the opening in the door panel?  It's my understanding that the stock speakers are glued to the stock spacers.  If so, how hard are they to separate?

Back