• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Water on passenger side floorboard

Dakotascott92

Hi guys. I'm having problem with water accumulating on the floorboard on passenger side. I've check all my drains. (Sunroof and ac) none are clogged. I only notice it when we have heavy rain. But my windshield is not leaking and seals are good. Any ideas?

Obvious answer would be to check door seal for tears or deformity/shrinkage. But some have had leaks from the rubber boot on wiring loom to door from A pillar, it can come off or has a split in it allowing water to enter cab.
Good luck chasing the leak down.

Have you looked around the midgate/rear window for seal or crack in the window frame. That can let in water and it can find it's way around the cab..

I just joined this forum in search of the exact answer you are looking for.  I have owned my 04 Av for 10 years so the problem baffles me when I discovered the cause.  Somehow the tube that drains the sunroof got over to where it was dumping on top of the blower motor.  Once I pushed it back toward the fender well where it is supposed to be, water drains to the exterior like it's supposed to.  I have no idea how that tube moved, but a generous application of duct tape will help keep it from happening again.  I tore the $h!t out of the wiper valance and the lower dash to figure it out, hope you have less drama!

Kevin

I've tried it all my sunroof drains are in the proper spot cause I've poured water down them to see where it ends up lol

Is the carpet in the back wet? Some have found the water was coming from the rear and just ending up in the front. Do you park on a hill or driveway facing down hill?

If you can't find a leak elsewhere, I would suspect a leaking heater core.  If that turns out to be it, I wish you luck. The part is cheap, replacing it is another matter.  On most vehicles, the whole dash needs to come out.  If you don't need the heater/defroster, bypass it.

My heater core opened up slightly at this time last year. (I was not using the heater then either.) I didn't recognize the slight amount of vapor/mist coming out of the top of dash AC vents. I did not smell anything until 2 days later. This started on a Friday evening. It had been humid, so I suspected it was normal condensation accumulating in the duct.

When I recognized the odor, I took it to GM and the first thing he did was wipe his hand under the duct on the passenger side. There was barely discernible amount of coolant on his hand but not so much to have leaked on the carpet.

They were able to replace the heater core without removing the dash, but did have to disassemble and remove the steering column. They took pictures and it was not a pretty sight. I did have to run 1.5 cans of AC Duct cleaner to remove the odor over a 3 week period.

I'm guessing it is either a leak in your weather stripping or coming down your A pillar if you have a sun roof window. I think someone mentioned a misaligned A pillar drain tube that caused a similar issue as you have described.

Or, the drain grate under the windshield wipers may have some blockage and sending water into the heater duct.

DakotaScott, did you ever find the cause of the leak?  I thought I had my leak figured out, but reality bites.  I'll pull my truck apart one, I repeat, ONE more time.  2015 rebates are looking pretty good in my mind right now!

Anybody know if Silverado's have this issue?

Kevin

Back