• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Delete please

You should put one in and compare it to the ones you have in now? Or is it in a sealed package and don't want to open it?

Sounds fishy, but if they work and are free then give them a shot.

3600 lumens is the brightness of a good set of HID's if the package advertisement is legit.  The set of OPT7 8000K HID's I just mounted on my Avy are said to produce 2800 lumens, but still look quite frikkin' awesome!

That is my concern of being street legal I don't want to spend a lot of money for upgrades and then have the law harassing me for being a distraction or illegal

MS03 2500 said:
Thanks Richb353, but I do not want HIDs to many problems with the LEO they will stop you for really bright lights, window tint and things not stock.

Are you going to test drive like that and see which you prefer?

Since it's only on the high beams the wider pattern may be better, but the narrow beam may go farther..

MS03,
I'm interested in installing LED headlights in my 2002 Avalanche.  I'm actually looking at a different model, but I'm interested in your experience so far.  Did you leave the reflector that sits in front of the bulb in place?  The one on my driver side has fallen off and I'm wondering how that would affect the light pattern of LED headlights.  I managed to stick my finger in once and put it back in place, but it has since fallen off again and I gave up on it.  It doesn't seem to affect the pattern too much for my current light bulbs, but I think it may be an issue with LEDs since the light doesn't project outwards from them.  Thank you for sharing your experience!

Edit:  Never mind, I just noticed you replaced your high beams which I don't believe have that reflector and I'm looking at replacing my lo beams.

I'm looking at these:

http://www.amazon.com/SNGL-Headlight-Conversion--Adjustable-Replaces/dp/B00T1718H2/ref=sr_1_sc_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1449168516&sr=8-5-spell&keywords=9005+xenonhid+led+headlights

They're 55w, 5,200 lumens 6000k per bulb (the Luxeon MZ LED option).  I'm thinking they should provide just about the brightest light you can get.  I've read LEDs don't shoot as far as XENON, but I'm fine with that.  If you're saying I should remove the reflector that may be a bit more work I'd like to get into since that involves removing the lens from the assembly and reinstalling it while making sure it seals good.

As far as spacing, I know the passenger side will have plenty of room for the fan on the back of the bulb, it could get a bit dicey on the driver side, depending on the orientation of the bulb.

I bit the bullet and ordered them off AliExpress.  They were half the price then on Amazon ($74 vice $159).  Of course they have to ship from China, so I have my fingers crossed I actually get what I ordered.  They were under a different brand name, but they are the exact same bulb as the one made by SNGL.  I'll try them with the reflectors on first and see if the adjustment they have makes them work.  If not, I'll be getting a heat gun so I can disassemble the housing to remove the reflector, unless someone knows a way to remove the reflector out the hole for the bulb without taking apart the housing?

MS03 2500 said:
...These bulbs give off a bunch of heat so they need plenty of room to dissipate the heat.

1203151609a_zpsaqauyiyq.jpg

I thought that LEDs do not "heat up"  or is it he ballast that you were referring to?

MS03 2500 said:
You don't need to pull the headlights apart to remove the reflector. LOL

PS I finally installed my high beam lights today they are very bright.
How do you go about removing the reflector then?  They certainly don't fit through the light bulb hole.

MS03 2500 said:
A question for the forum I bought set of Plasmaglow Led headlights from a very very popular website, instead of getting the PlasmaGlows I received this.  Has anyone ever heard of them, the popular website promptly refunded me the funds and said reorder the ones you want and will ship for free.

1121152017_zpshaajfnla.jpg

PS the New Bright dot com website is broken

I'm not sure how i missed this post earlier.

You could have saved a lot of time & trouble if you had just brought them to California on your next great Adventure. We could have plugged them into our Solar Voltaic Grid and checked to see if they lit up Catalina Island with either the LB or HB selection.

The test against the garage door was defining for me, but not the one one against the Red Blanket.  :wave:

Do these work with the All 4 On High Mod?  :love:

My research has brought up the fact that the current crop of LED headlights all give off heat.... The makers of them have set them up to direct the heat to the rear where there is a fan setup. This fan will eventually burn out and need replacing. The ones I have seen so far look just like PC cooling fans but I get told they are all weather but I don't buy it...

My JW Speaker LED Projectors have a large heat sink on them and have no external fans which I like but won't fit within a normal Cladded headlight capsule without modification to one or the other.

You also generally get what you pay for with the LED's too... And most of the 'ebay' or Chinese bulbs are NOT what they say they are rated for. I have seen the SAME bulb listed as 2500 lumens, 3000 lumen, 4500 lumen on up to 6000 lumen from different locations and they all had the same part number on them and same manufacturer...  So unless you get a name brand LED headlight don't expect them to be what they say they are...  And even brand named LED's won't necissarily compare to the same Lumen output of an HID.

Been my experience so far anyhow...

Rodney

I've had a LED conversion for my 2006 but the core support needs to be cut and I'm not up to doing that right now.

Keep in mind, running HID's in your high beams, the HID's do not like to be flashed.

I also noticed that when I tested the LED in my low, they didn't seem to project as far.  I should try them at night. 

I'm hoping the set I bought for my car that has projectors will work better.

I tried these LED headlights on Amazon & they were worthless.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N6DBXG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I ended up going with GE Nighthawks. Quite a bit brighter & whiter than whatever I had & less than $20 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017OANWI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I keep hearing on a headlight forum that LED's in headlights suck. Even the VLED headlights are getting a bad rap. I bought some of their 25 watt 880 bulbs to install for fogs. My HID fogs had one side burn out and I wanted to try the LED's since they will better match my JW Speaker headlights.

Too busy with school to mess with them yet and been trying to get my audio system working...

Considering getting some of the 45 watt VLED bulbs for my car but I keep getting told they just don't project far enough.

Rodney

The JW Speaker LED's I have are projector setups without the PC cooling fans and are used on buses and trucks.

They are not for the weak of heart because the headlight bucket needs serious modifications to make them fit. You could modify the lights themselves then they fit pretty easily within the buckets but then the warranty is gone. It has tabs that you mount it with and they also work as the adjusters.

Various reviewer sites rate them higher than HID lighting because they have more usable light and it is well focused.

But at basically $250 per light and serious modification of the bucket not too many want to do them... They do accept 3" shrouds so they can also take halo's etc but they are certainly different than most anything else out there.

For the bulbs, if I can find something that works well I wouldn't mind using a set in my Cadillac. We will see how the 25 watt LED's work in the fogs on my truck...

Rodney

I put my VLED lights in my fog lights and they project a lot further than people give them credit for. They seem to perform much better than my 35 watt HID's did. They project further and seemed to be about as bright. The VLED's are rated at 3000 lumen and the HIDs should be in the same neighborhood or slightly higher. MUCH brighter than the original FOGS...

Be aware that HID or LED in the low beams are very bright and without projectors are very dangerous to other drivers. It is like you are driving with brights on all the time...

Has anyone put these bulbs in a WBH ? I just bought them and I will have to cut some plastic. The bulbs are too long to fit. Any advice??

INSTRUCTIONS, We don't read no stinking INSTRUCTIONS...  :abuelito:

Defiantly putting out more light.. Looks good..

Been a while since I had my head lights out.

I know you have a 2500 but are the headlight compartments the same?

I still haven't mounted my JW Speaker lights. Will require me to make a mounting plate that will sit about half inch above and below the housing for the mounting tabs on the lights. The mounting plate will have a hole that the speaker lights will go through and I will have to open up the rear of the housing as well. Basically I will have to redo the whole bucket area of the headlight to accomodate the JW Speakers. They have a 3.5" diameter outer shell and 4    1/2" tabs at the corners. The tabs will make an X if you draw a line between them.

So I plan to tape some cardboard to the lights in my truck now to see if I have the clearance under them. I believe I have clearance above them no problem.

Looking at yours it looks like there is quite a bit of room between the headlights and turn signals. I don't remember there being the mounting beam that you mounted your ballasts to. I should probably pull mine out this weekend and atleast look at them.

Rodney 

Morioto recently came out with some Projector/LED bulbs. I would consider trying those.

I hopefully will be working on getting my JW Speaker lights mounted this winter. Need to do a bunch of fabrication for them though.

Even though my VLED's in the fogs seem to do a decent job I still haven't heard of any LED's that do a good job in a reflector headlight housing. No distance to them. All depends on the optics though. Which is why I would look at the Morioto's if I didn't already have a set of JW Speakers.

Rodney

Back